Increasingly likely that the Tokyo Olympics will be postponed to 2021

I have no idea what’s going to happen, but I wish the media would realize that moving an Olympiad isn’t just as easy as moving a wedding. These things take years to plan. If the hotel industry gets walloped in Japan badly, those hotel rooms may not be there in 2021 to rent out. Even if the buildings still exist under new management, Tokyo prices aren’t cheap and a massive recession may deter travel. The infrastructure that was built is a sunk cost but Tokyo may not want to undergo the massive cost of actually staging the games in the middle of a global depression.

contracts might have an out for the sale if the games are delayed. I would be surprised if they did not have that in the sales contracts

IOC wants decision in 4 weeks. IOC sets four-week deadline on Games decision

Canada has pulled out its athletes.

Yeah, Tokyo 2021 or bust at this point for Canada. I imagine others will follow suit.

I would imagine most people who bought tickets charged them on a charge card. Who uses checks any more. Many charge card agreements do not permit a charge to mbe made before the merchandise is shipped. So if tickets have not been mailed you might (at least US citizens) be able to cancel the transaction.

Imagine if the games go on without Canada’s involvement if somehow the coronavirus goes away within the month.

They’d have to start their own Olympic games then like the American 1980 Liberty Bell Classic and the Soviet 1984 Friendship Games.

Lots of holes that are probably better in GQ, tickets are usually a separate item in the credit card agreement. Plus, it’s a foreign transaction which will have different rules.

I assume this is an opening shot by a relatively minor summer Olympic country to tell the IOC that yes, it’s a major PITA to postpone for a year, but getting started tomorrow is easier than waiting another month.

I can also see FIFA using this to get out of the disastrous Qatar World Cup, the bribes have been paid, checks cashed, and no one wants a winter cup in a hell like Qatar

They are at least considering it:

Brian

It will get postponed, barring a miraculous turnaround in the virus. I’m convinced there will be no baseball season and I’m real doubtful about football. 2020 will go down as the year without sports.

I just heard that Australia has told its athletes to assume a 2021 Olympiad.

If colleges stay closed for in person classes in the fall then they can’t have college sports. But I would not want to be in Alabama when they announced no FB. They did skip a season for WW 2 but only 1943.

IOC member says the games will be next year

Once whole countries said they wouldn’t go in 2020, that’s all she wrote.

Yep, looks to be official now.

https://sydneynews.sydney/sydney-news/tokyo-olympics-games-2021-games-postponed-1-year/6784/?fbclid=IwAR0mv8aUdKVPeEJzNo7pE5hSCgyNt6Cq-xgbTHKNJgwkOag8dPCafjYNlV8

We are experiencing a pathetic situation globally. I heard that the final decisions regarding Olympic would be declaring withing the coming 4 weeks. It’s better to be safe than sorry…All we have to be alive to take part in any occasion.

It’s official.

It’s a little late but the only choice.

This is obviously the biggest story in the sports world at the moment, but ESPN.com’s top headline is Mel Kiper’s mock NFL draft. The Olympics postponement is only briefly mentioned in very small type further down the page. :rolleyes:

they only sold 25% of the condos that were built for athletes for the games.