Increasingly likely that the Tokyo Olympics will be postponed to 2021

So much in that story - first the title “IOC president Thomas Bach invokes Trump in defense of Olympic decision

And then there is this lovely quote

Presumably he means human sacrifices. Mesoamerican ballgame as a demo sport in 2028?

I’m guessing the Opening Ceremony is also going to be artistically revised a bit to make some sort of tribute to the world recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Reviving this thread because of reports coming out indicating that Tokyo is ready to call it quits and cancel the whole shebang:

So, do you think we will actually see an Olympic games prior to 2024?

I’m not particularly confident. The next Winter Games are scheduled for Beijing in February of 2022; while some countries may have achieved large-scale vaccinations of their citizens by then, the Games features athletes from all over the world, and the virus may well still be rampant in many countries at that point.

I can’t see how there could be any problem at all with winter 2022. By that point, if there’s anyone at all who hasn’t had a chance to be vaccinated, it’ll be folks who would be too poor to travel, anyway. And as for those who have had the opportunity to be vaccinated but simply chose not to, they could just make proof of vaccination a requirement for attendance.

At that point the IOC could simply state that any attendee must have been vaccinated. The number who would not have would be too low to not hold the event.

It would be sad if the Games are cancelled. I like seeing them, even if only on TV (although I’ve always wanted to attend in person). And the Japanese government must have put billions into preparations. Perhaps they could host the 2032 Games? Unless we want to do something radical like have the 2024 Games in Tokyo, then the 2028 Games in Paris and the 2032 Games in Los Angeles?

If they have to put them off to 2022, well, just do that. Having the same kind of Olympics just two years apart happened once before on purpose, after all.

They will do it without fans and require athletes to be vaccinated

Honestly, I could go for both in 2022. It’d be a nice change of pace.