Individual serving boxes of cereal

My morning cereal comes in boxes containing 7/8 ounce or 13/16 ounce of cereal. Why not one ounce? Based on the nutritional information on the individual boxes vs. the regular boxes, the individual servings are slightly smaller than regular servings.

When I was a kid the individual boxes had perforations on the front of the box and the waxed paper liner. The idea was that one could fold the front of the box and the liner back and eat the cereal right out of the box. No need to dirty a bowl or disposable cup. When and why was this discontinued?

They may very well have been one full ounce in the beginning, but got reduced as a way of keeping the same price while still making a profit. I’d bet 90% of foodstuffs have smaller versions now. Look at the way candy bars keep shrinking so that they can stay a reasonable price.

No idea on the other question. I haven’t seen an individual serving in years. How do they come now?

The cafeteria has General Mills cereals. The boxes have a rip-top, and the inner bag is closed in the same way as most other plastic bags; i.e., you pull the top apart.

Now, it is easier to pour the cereal into a styrofoam bowl and eat it from there; but the eat-out-of-the-box style packaging would be handy for camping and such.

Does the box also state metic weights? Seven eights of an ounce is almost exactly 25 grams. or more properly 0.245 Newton.

I’m sure they also list metric weights. If their using metric weights, they should list them first and in the larger print.

Why first?
Why larger?

Why in Newtons?
How long has “Newton” been in common usage ?

I’d rather have a whole Fig Newton! :wink:

If they’re basing the contents on grams instead of ounces, then they should list it in grams first.

All boxes are the same size, aren’t they? And that volume can contain different weights of cereal due to differences in density.

So it may be one ounce of raisin bran and 7/8 oz. corn flakes.

The size of the box was probably also chosen for convenience rather than for volume.

It makes no sense to have different sized boxes for each cereal.

The way weights are listed on packaging is specified by law. They can’t just change it on a whim.

Well, to be persnickety about it, weight at the surface of the earth is a measure of the force with which gravity pulls on a mass. Grams are not units of force, Newstons are. :stuck_out_tongue:

Newtons have never been in common use as a unit of weight that I know of. But every time I see weight listed in grams I think, “It aughta be in Newtons.” Or dynes if cgs is preferred over mks.

It occurred to me that their box filling machinery might just measure in the metric system, lots of machines are that way, but for US consumers they listed the weight in oz.

Just a thought.

So what about the apparent non-existence of eat-out-of-the-box packaging?

There’s still eat out of the package. I see these all the time- although in convenience stores and hotel breakfasts, not supermarkets.

But really, a consumer is more interested in how much “stuff” there is (the mass), rather than how hard gravity pulls it (the weight). But I know, it usually says “weight: 25 grams” which is nonsense.

It’s not so much that Newtons aren’t used as a unit of weight. Rather, when the metric system was introduced, people started talking in terms of mass instead of weight, because it makes more sense (for instance, if I go to the moon I will still be 75 kilos, but who knows what my weight will be). The term “weight” has unfortunately stuck around in common use to confuse people.

Newtons are used when it actually makes sense to talk about forces (which is mainly in scientific pursuits).

If that were uniformly true then we should give the mass of the contents in slugs rathen than pounds. :wink:

My silly little peeve is being taken much too seriously. :eek:

Johnny IIRC a single serving of dry ceral is always 100 or 110 Calories (I forget which). Take a look at the nutrional panel on the box. I will bet the total calories is either 100 or 110.

There isn’t a coffee cup, cooler, or packaging material in the world made of Styrofoam.

I didn’t look at your link, but if it’s what I think it is then the thought that someone would pick that nit crossed my mind. I thought that using lowercase would differentiate it from Styrofoam.

It’s 80 or 90, depending on the cereal. I like Total. When they run ot of that I eat Wheaties, then Cheerios.

Got a file not found on that one. (The page is there; the item isn’t found.)

Don’t know how that happened. I’ll just describe them. They’re individual plastic cups of cereal, with 1.3 to 2.8 ounces of cereal, depending on brand. They’re sold on that site in six-packs. In convenience stores, I see them sold individually.