Individualist trends and fads: kids just phoning it in these days?

I’d say 1200 sqft for 2br/2ba is a bit on the high side. I grew up in a 1950s suburban ranch with 3br and 1.5ba and it was 1050 sqft.

And you realize you’re just parroting exactly what the real-estate agent kept saying, right? Monstro is having the house built for her, not some other family 20 years down the road. I understand that when someone is specifically choosing to do something that is markedly different than the mainstream (be it having a very small house built, picking up and moving across the country with no job lined up, even getting a stick shift in a non-sporty car*), people may want to make sure s/he knows the potential issues s/he may face down the road. But once it’s clear that s/he’s aware of those issues, back off.

Understanding that your choice is a definite minority choice within society doesn’t automatically mean you will change your decision. And remaining steadfast is not automatically a sign you are just being stubborn or that you don’t really understand the potential issues.

• and hell yes, this gets the same kind of reaction from a LOT of people. Are you sure? No one wants a stick shift nowadays. You’ll have a hard time selling it later on, etc.