Inexpensive Meal Ideas - Help Needed.

I’ve recently discovered a cheap, easy, and tasty stir-fry. I can make it in about twenty minutes, and it’s filling and yummy.

Get everything ready before you start.

Put on the water for noodles.

Glob a bit of oil (I use a mix of olive and sesame) into a wok or a big saucepan.

Grate a grape-sized chunk of ginger and add it to the oil when the oil’s hot.

Add four or so cloves of crushed garlic.

Add half an onion, quartered and sliced (so you have long thin onion strips).

Add a fresh hot pepper, diced. (You can use some other form of chile if you’d rather – red pepper flakes work just fine, and you may need to supplement your fresh pepper with dried chile anyway).

Add several carrots, sliced into two-inch strips.

Add half a small cabbage, sliced into similar-sized strips.

Stir fry all this together. When appropriate, add some soy sauce and some rice wine (or regular white wine). Taste, and adjust seasonings.

Boil some spaghetti noodles (or udon noodles, if you’re feeling fancy).

Just before serving, beat lightly a couple of eggs and stir them into the vegetable mixture, stir frying until the eggs are cooked. Add the drained noodles to the vegetables and stir together.

Yum!
Daniel

Whole chickens can go on sale for as little as 50cents/lb. A 5 lb chicken (serves 4) only costs $2.50! (It doesn’t matter if the whole chicken says fryer or roaster, both can be roasted. Fryers are usually smaller)

Directions: Take icky stuff out of inside of chicken and discard. Pat chicken dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pre-heat oven to 450F.

Place chicken in a baking dish and put in pre-heated oven. Immediately turn heat down to 350F. Bake 20 min/lb. Halfway through baste with a little melted butter if desired. Take out of oven and let rest 5 minutes before carving.

Serve with vegetable and mashed potatoes or rice.

When you’re done with the chicken, put the carcass with any leftover bits of meat on it in the fridge. That plus 2 Quarts water, 4 carrots, 4 stalks of celery, an onion with the skin removed, and a palmful of peppercorns + 3 hours simmering time = soup.

I like “plate tacos” for a quick and relatively cheap meal.

You need white rice (instant is fine), chili (vegetarian chili would work well), cheddar cheese, corn chips, lettuce, and any other toppings you like – onions, tomatoes, chili peppers, olives, sour cream, salsa, etc.

Cook the rice and chili in separate pots. Mound the rice onto your plate, then put on a layer of corn chips. Cover that with the chili, then cheese, then lettuce and whatever other toppings you want.

You can make the meal in about 15 minutes, including the time needed to dice onions and grate cheese. Price would be dictated by the toppings you use.

When you give up meat you have to remember that none of the “substitutes” really taste like the meat you would typically eat. Think of them more as a protein substitute. For your spaghetti, a mixture of yelllow zuchinni, squash, and garden mushrooms all chopped up (like an onion) can give more substance to a spaghetti sauce. I used to use that as a meat substitute. I doubt there is equivalent protein there but I was going for things that would make the meal feel more filling.

My general vegetarian spaghetti sauce went something like this:

Brown in a frying pan the following chopped things:
White or yellow onion
zuchini/yellow squash
Mushrooms

Pre-season it how you would pre season your meat, if you use olive oil, put it in here.

Then…

Pour in either tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes for a heavier sauce)
Season how you would normally season the rest of your sauce (garlic, salt, pepper, sweet basil, oregano, swig of red wine, etc). I find that the lack of meat makes me crave salt a little more but avoid putting too much salt in it because it is easily overdone.

It cooks up pretty quickly and is quite hearty and delicious. If you plan on going completely meatless (ie, no fish either) the hard part is coming up with enough protein sources that you generally like. Nuts on salads, beans and rice, eggs if you eat them, and tofu, are all viable options. If you don’t get enough protein you will start to feel groggy and irritable, or at least I do.

Pasta and potato dishes tend to be the cheapest around. Anything that you can make completely from scratch is pretty close to it too. I can bake bread for about 30-50 cents (it’s heartier and lasts longer too) whereas a store bought french bread loaf costs about $1.50. I just have to put a bigger investment at the beginning to buy flour, yeast, sugar, etc.

I’d be more of an advocate for beans if they didn’t make me fart up a storm (and bean-o, the only real cure, is expensive). They ARE really really good for you, and cheap to boot. But sometimes my poor butt just isn’t up to it. However, you can minimize the gas pangs by soaking them overnight and then discarding the beany water (along with most of the flavor :(, unfortunately) Also, make sure to chew every single bite a LOT. This definately does help.

When you make spaghetti, I DEMAND that you try this at least once: right after you drain the water (please don’t add oil to the water or the spaghetti just yet either: most oils keep the sauce from sticking to the pasta), get a plastic bowl ready. Smear a pad of butter (or, just use the stick to paint it on) around the inner surface. Dump in the pasta, and then toss the pasta in one or two cloves of very finely minced garlic (uncooked) and perhaps more butter. You can skip the butter entirely if you aren’t looking for it. The smell of the hot pasta hitting that garlic is… nice. And a little fresh (uncooked) garlic is fantastic in pasta: gives it a tiny tiny kick.

Also, it can’t hurt to, after cooking the onions and garlic and so on, add a little wine and “deglaze” (scrape the pan bottom while the wine cooks away) just before adding the red sauce ingredients. Really adds some sophisticated depth. But then, it has to be a drinkable wine, and that’s not exactly inexpensive.

Tofu (Firm or extra firm tofu, mind you) is really great as a red meat replacement in a pasta, and it’s definately the cheapest protein source, pound for pound around, but there are some modifications you should definately try making to give it a good taste and texture.

Draining: the fastest, easiet way to drain tofu is obviously to squeeze it out over the sink, usually in its package. But I like doing it this way: wrap the tofu in lots of paper towels, then place a baking pan on top (and below if you’re worried about the liquid going everywhere). Gradually balance a few heavy cans on the top pan, squishing the tofu slowly over the course of ten minutes or so. You get nicely dried out tofu without too much nasty breakage.

Technique one: drain it, dry it, wrap it up tightly in saran wrap, and freeze it at least overnight (a week is great). This expands the “bubbles” inside making it much more pourous and structured. It will not only have more texture oomph this way, but it will suck up flavors even faster than normal. The only downside is that you have to spend time defrosting and draining it before use (though a microwave and some paper towels can speed that process considerably), unless you’re okay with all the extra tofu water (which is sort of bland and… tofuy)

Technique two (these can all be combined, by the way, or not): marinate. A little mix of equal parts soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and crushed garlic is the easiest way to go (but very little, especially with the frozen stuff: it gets salty really fast!), but tofu really deserves some flavor. You can find tofu marinades out there everywhere you look, though for a red sauce pasta you want to pick something that matches (the sauce itself isn’t so bad, though often a little bland). Tofu, especially the frozen kind, can soak up a marinade pretty fast: you can even go with as few as ten minutes soaking in the fridge. If you miss meaty flavors, you can definately find marinades that add this to the tofu (those that include liquid smoke can get you that “darkngrilled” taste back). You shouldn’t try to replicate the exact meat flavors you want: you should just try to add meat-like notes and deep “mouth feel” to the tofu.

Technique three (goes really well with the marinade: bake the tofu cubes in a cooking sprayed pan at a preheated 400. Ten minutes, flip them over with a spatula, and then six minutes. You may need to play with the times some for your particular oven, because I find ovens range wildly, especially with something like tofu, and you may want to use higher temps to get it over with faster. The outcome of this baking treatment is much chewier and meatier, and if you marinaded, it keeps it from being too watery and intensifies the flavor.

All three techniques sound like a lot of time and work, but if you prepare, it really isn’t much extra time at all. You can freeze lots and lots of tofu at once, and as long as you’ve wrapped well, you can go for a month without yucky freezerburn. You can defrost and marinade while you’re chopping veggies (yellow and green squash, are, as was noted before, fantastic in pasta (though they shine best in non-red sauces), especially if you brown them in the saute pan with a little black pepper and salt) and bake while you’re sauteing the garlic and onions and building your sauce. If you’ve pre-cooked the tofu, you don’t need to add it until after you’ve made the sauce (just be sure to let is soak up some of that sauce by simmering and stirring). If not, add it as soon as the onions go soft.

The end result of all this are satisfyingly chewy chunks with a much better flavor (I LIKE plain tofu flavor, but most people don’t, and it is much better when most of that flavor is washed out, and others modify it) that really enhance the pasta as a dish, and can definately replace meats.

Various methods of deep-frying tofu is great too, but really goes better with stir fry dishes.
Finally, here’s my little tofu gem. This stuff is an amazing vegan replacement for cheese, especially in roasted veggie crepes. It doesn’t melt and isn’t supposed to: it’s juicy and squishy.

Ingredients:
1 pound Firm Tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 TBsps Olive oil
2 TBsps Lemon Juice, Fresh
1 Garlic clove, minced
2 tsps Mellow barley miso
~ 1 pinch of Black Pepper
1 TBsp Tarragon, fresh chopped is best
1 tsp Fresh Chives, chopped

Equipment: simmering pot, paper towels, small bowl, fork, baking dish

Preparation

1. Preheat oven 350.
  2. Gently cook tofu in pot of simmering lightly salted water for 5 min.
  3. Remove and drain on paper towels and pat dry.
  4. In small bowl add oil, lemon juice, miso, garlic 1/2 tsp salt, pepper to taste and wisk to combine.
  5. Pour over tofu in bowl.
  6. Use fork to mash flavorings into tofu until liquid absorbed and curds formed.
  7. Stir in fresh herbs.
  8. Place tofu in baking dish and bake 20 min. until tofu starts to brown.

Oh that’s good stuff! (and cheap! and high protien!)

As the above poster recommended: tofu! It’s inexpensive and a good source of protein w/ low fat content (something you can’t say about beef). If you get the firm/extra firm kind, it will add some texture and “meatiness” to your dishes.

Tofu thirded - around here you can get a good sized package for a buck, enough to last at least three generous tofu-centered meals. All the firmnesses are usually the same price, too, so I suggest firm or extra firm which are more hearty, filling, and protein-filled than silk tofu.
I also agree with refried beans as a cheap non-meat protein source, but be sure to get vegetarian/fat free! Taco Bell makes its own brand of fat free refried beans now, and it’s shockingly good; probably the best-tasting canned beans you can buy. It’s also lower in calories than most fat free beans, and right now at 5 cans a dollar it’s even cheaper than the generic brand at the local supermarket. Viva Taco Bell Refried Beans.
ooh ooh ooh - have you tried seitan/wheat gluten? Amazing meat substitute. You can buy it or make it cheaply - this page has some good backstory on seitan and a couple good recipies.

This is fantastic thanks everyone. My tummys rumbling just reading this thread, must try these ideas asap.

Notes so far - beans, tofu, rice and pasta are all good. Try stir-fry’s, curries and mexican dishes.

We have a very good fresh fruit and veg market close so I’m going to start cooking lots of stir fry’s with yummy fresh veggies. There is also an Asia food store there so I will go in and check out their prices as Flora suggested.

I went looking for black beans yesterday in the supermarket and couldn’t find any so either they are called something else in Australia or really do need to get to that Asian food store.

We havn’t tried seitan/wheat gluten or tofu yet but will get some on my next shopping trip.

This is all really exciting. Who thought a change of diet could be so much fun.

I’m surprised that they don’t have black beans. They’re easy to can and transport, so unless they are simply widely hated in Australia, I would expect them to show up in most stores as they do in the US (though, sometimes in odd parts of the market).

I don’t know how I feel about seitan and tempeh. Their textures are a little odd. You really need to have a recipe that compliments them for them to be appealing. I’ve seen some pretty incredible things done with them: but only by talented chefs with good recipies. Wheat Gluten, however, can come out really really well pretty easily, and is very popular in vegan chinese cooking.

I forgot to say so above, but polenta is incredibly good for you: probably the heathiest all round grain there is. My suggestion is to combine it with a wheaty, crepe/pancake-like item and an acidic-type soup. That is, make a mild tomatoey soup, then roll a crepe with the cooked polenta inside (be sure to cook the polenata with a nice flavorful stock instead of just water). Combine in a shallow bowl (the rolled crepe just “dipping it’s toes” in the soup, almost as if it’s a sauce) so that each bite can take in some of the hard (but slowly sogging) crepe, some of the creamy, sticky polenta, and a dip of the soup to cut the starch. You can combine the polenta filling with some roasted veggies if you want. Heavenly stuff.

Arg arg!!! I meant Quinoa, not polenta!!! I don’t know what I was thinking…
Quinoa is great stuff when done right, full or protein and other good stuff… but I’m not a huge fan of polenta.