Infanticide/Abortion

I want to respond to this debate as I have a few ideas. However it is apparent to me that I need to be firmly educated on American law never mnind Canadian law.

At what point does abortion, which is legal, turn into infanticide subject to criminal penalty? Sixth month, seventh month…, natural exit from the womb or when the baby is breathing on its own? Or whatever?

Not looking for opinions, just the legal facts.

http://www.tourolaw.edu/patch/Roe/

The facts vary by state. Here is a great guide (PDF!)

North Carolina prohibits abortion except in cases of life orhealth endangerment to the mother at or after 20 weeks.

FL, MA, NV, NY, PA, RI, and SD at or after 24 weeks.

GA, IA, SC, TX, VA at third trimester.

AL, AR, AR, CA, CT, IL< ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MT. ND, NE, OK, TN, WA, WI, WY after “Viability” - generally determined by the doctor. Most of these require an abortion done at or near viability to be performed in a hospital, not a clinic. Two doctors must perform the procedure, and life support for the “product of the abortion” must be in the room. If either doctor feels it is viable, it must be saved.

The Canadian Criminal Code uses this definition for when a child becomes a human being

Note tht there is no prohibition on abortion in Canada.

Even when abortion is a crime, it sill isn’t infanticide. Infanticide is when you kill a baby. Fetuses aren’t babies.

–Cliffy