Inflatable Christmas decorations

I’m not crazy about them but not enough to vandalize someone else’s property.

What I don’t get is why people turn them off during the day and leave their flaccid heaps in the yard. Sure you don’t have your lights on during the day but those things are best seen during the daytime and it’s just sad seeing all these deflated Santas and snowmen all over the place. There’s a house down the road that has a deflated Santa on their roof. I don’t think he’s even inflated at night. It looks like Santa fell out of his sleigh at a great height and reached terminal velocity before he hit their roof. SPLAT! The Jolly Old Splat Man.

And then seven weeks later, you fill Jesus with helium and cut him loose and he ascends into heaven.

Any room in that handbasket, KD? Scoot over.

I like cheesy Christmas crap – the tackier the better.

My neighbors have the neatest Christmas blowup thingie. It’s an igloo with a santa and a snowman who alternate popping out of the top. The cool thing about it is when santa is popping up and the snowman is sinking down, it looks exactly like Santa is giving Frostie the Big Christmas Candy Cane, if you know what I mean. Sometimes I stop in front of their house for a few minutes and watch the show. Merry Christmas!

I like cheesy Christmas displays too!

(pile-on warning: All posters in the 12 known galaxies to descend on me momentarily. Tsunami-warning in effect. Expect Walmart to be back-ordered on Hobnail Boots.)

I don’t have any decorations in my yard, but when I drive somewhere with my kids this time of year, I’ll actually go 1/2 mile out of my way to drive them by a house with these tacky Christmas displays. It makes my kids laugh. There are several houses within a few miles of where I live that have these inflate-o things as well as massive Tim-the-Toolman-Taylor-type displays, and I’m always amazed at where they get the time, the energy, and the money to be able to decorate that way.

You may not like it, but Tackiness isn’t a crime, people. If it was, PT Cruisers, Crocs, roadside memorial grave-sites, Donald Trumps hair, and anyone with a facial piercing would all be fair game. They’re not, and people who try to make kids laugh shouldn’t be either.

Still, for those of you who may want to cheer at the destruction of the happiness of these people just because they like to decorate for the holidays, Take Heart! Last year, one of the usual holiday house displays off Alexander Avenue had all of their decorations trashed and stolen. This year, there isn’t even a wreath on the door. :frowning:

Nothing says Christmas like shoving a light bulb up the butt of a plastic Virgin. And if she happens to be Minnie Mouse, it just adds to the potential.

Those big snowglobe things should be turned off once in a while to keep the styrofoam pellets–the “snow”–from melting together and clogging up the works.