Info on the meningitis vaccination

My son is away at college, and last year, there were scattered reports of bacterial meningitis infections, not at DJ’s school, but I was still concerned enough, that I had him get a vaccination for it.

I’ve just received notification from his school for this year, another round of vaccinations are being given for this, though there haven’t been any outbreaks reported.

Does DJ need * another shot?? * I thought if you were vaccinated for something, it lasted for a least a little while, but I don’t want to fool around, if he does need it, despite the $100 price tag they charge, he should get it. I just don’t want it to be a needless thing either.

Does anyone know, if annual vaccinations are needed for this?? Thanks,

Judy

Check out the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s info site: http://www.cdc.gov/NIP/publications/VIS/default.htm
for information on a variety of vaccines, general safety etc. There’s alot of information written in a nontech manner.

When I got my meningitis vaccination, they informed me that there were various kinds of meningitis, and that the vaccine wasn’t against the kind that has of late been going around college campuses.

In other words: if there’s symptoms, get thee to a hospital swiftly post-haste.

Incidentally, a lot of places offer them for free. Check around.

There are 3 kinds of bacteria that commonly cause bacterial meningitis:
Neisseria meningitidis aka meningococcus
Streptococcus pneumoniae
Hemophilius influenzae

Meningococcus is typically the cause of outbreaks among closely quartered young adults (Soldiers in open bay barracks or students in college dorms)

Each different species has many different serotypes - strains that have different antigens from one another. The meningococcal vaccine would protect against most common serotypes of N. meningitidis. Unlike influenza viruses, these strains don’t vary from year to year, and so there should be no need to re-immunize on that basis; the crucial question would be whether or not antibody levels from the vaccine last year remain high to be protective this year.

Information in the site listed above and here suggests that 1 dose should be protective, but you should check with your son’s doctor, because certain chroninc medical conditions may affect his response to the vaccine.

I especially appreciate ya’lls quick responses, since the decision has to be made this week to sign him up to take the vaccine.

Thanks for your help, and the links. I’ll check those out before calling my son tonight.

Judy