Inner workings of the Speak'N'Say

You know those things the kids play with where you set the middle arrow to say… “Dog” pull the lever and the thing intones “The dog says ‘bow wow!’ ‘Bow wow!’”? How do these things work? Since I’m not allowed to take apart my son’s toys and I’m not willing to wait for him to break it, I’m curious. My guess involves a plastic record disk (like the ones I had when I was 5 years old), playing on a cheap stylus and powered by a spring or something when you pull the lever. But how does it set the number, letter, animal, whatever when you turn the arrow?

And what about those dolls where you pull of a string in the back? Obviously no record in there, so what’s the secret?

“I guess one person can make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

They use all the old 8-tracks in 'em.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/see-say.htm

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

Thank you.
Peace,
mangeorge

I’ll be damned… I was right. I guess the doll must work on a fairly similar system.

“I guess one person can make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”