Insomnia bites

It’s 03:13 and I should be asleep, but I woke 45 minutes ago and can’t get back to sleep yet. The cause is probably the crappy wine I had with my supper - Stormhoek. I ought to prepare myself a nice hot drink, but I’m out of hot chocolate and tea and coffee both have too much caffeine.

So half an hour’s surfing and reading should do it.

I’ve been trying to sleep since 02:00 and have finally given up on the idea.

Yes it does.

I’ve had terrible sleep patterns for, ohhhh about 6 months now. Can’t imagine why…

I’ve been waiting for just such a thread to ask about this:

Nightwave Sleep Assistant

Has anyone tried this? If not, does it sound like something that would work?

No.

I’ve been an insomniac for as long as I can remember, and it does suck. I usually can’t sleep more than about 3 hours without waking up, and when I wake up, it is usually for 20 minutes or so. When it’s really bad, I’ll pull all-nighters, maybe managing a 30-60 min nap at 6 or 7am before going about my day. I would love to feel well-rested one day; it must be great!

I have puberty-onset insomnia. I may or may not be the only one.

There are pills which do work, and, contrary to some, DO allow natural sleep.

The OTC’s are diphenylhydramine (sp) - are an old antihistamine (now you know - some of the old antihistamines COULD knock you on your ass).

Most of the current hypnotics are benzodiazapines (sp) - not nice things, but some do work. WATCH THE SIDE-EFFECTS - one I was on (Triazalom) lists brain damage (permament) and DEATH. I don’t use that one anymore.

See a doc if it bothers you.

Well, it’s been at least 17 years, that I remember, so I’m certainly well on my way. I am familiar with the pharmaceutical choices out there, though I admit to having only tried diphenhydramine. It doesn’t work, and makes me feel like shit for the rest of the next day. My FIL is willing to prescribe a trial dose of prescription sleep aids (though we’ve never talked about which one/s would suit me the best) but I haven’t taken him up on his offer. Maybe one day, but right now I get by, and I don’t want to get into a habit of using sleep pills. I have brought it up with doctors before, but never enough to follow through with sleep studies/meds. Probably it will come up with my family doctor, now that I’ve found one, but I’m not in a rush.

And now, I will attempt to go to sleep. Wish me luck :wink:

Well, I believe it was the wine that caused it and indeed 45 mins of surfing provided the shift in mental state which let me go to sleep.