Insurance question.

So, a few months ago I went to the eye doctor to get some new contacts. It turned into this big debacle, and I ended up going back there six times. They never got my prescription right. Insurance covered all of this. Eventually I gave up.

I’ve been wearing old glasses to get by but they give me headaches and I really need to get new contacts and glasses. I don’t want to go back to the old place.

I have a new insurance effective September 1st (still don’t have my insurance card, but they’re looking into it.)

My question is, could I use my new insurance for another eye exam, new contacts and glasses, without it becoming an issue with my old insurance? If not, what do you recommend I do? Spending hundreds of dollars on eye care would really hurt us financially right now.

I believe most insurance policies are “stand-alone,” meaning any restrictions are defined by the terms of that contract alone and not by anything you may have done under prior coverage with a different company. Same in the other direction. Once your coverage terminates with a different firm, they generally don’t give a crap what some other company pays for, so long as there’s no scam going on.

I’d pursue the exam under your new insurance, but you can certainly confirm if there’s any coverage issues before you do.

That’s correct. We wouldn’t even know you had ther insurance before us unless you sent us a certificate of coverage, and even then we don’t call up our competition to get your medical history.

Find an eye doc recommended by family and friends, and verify the new doc accepts your new insurance.

When people are happy with their eye doctors, they stay with them for years and years and years. There’s a REASON why they do so!

I’ve encountered some real clowns, people who didn’t give a shit, delivered lousy service, and were obviously only there to rake in the money (the waiting room was filled with Medicaid patients). I’ve had other doctors who were gentle, patient, and helpful, and sincerely wanted me to benefit from proper vision correction.
~VOW

Thanks for helping to clarify this, guys. I was getting worried.