Interactive 3d art work - how'd they do some of these tricks?

I’ve been studying these photos trying to imagine what the art work looks like without the tourists.

I wonder how they knew where to stand and get such perfect effects? How in the heck did the tourist mount the horse and hold the spear? Is there a stuffed prop next to the painting? :confused: These can’t be just flat paintings with 3d art. The tourist is behind the chariot the girl in red is riding. That has to be a painting with a prop in front.

It all looks like flat painting and camera angles to me. I believe in the horse one she has her other leg behind the wall through the cut out.

Some of it sticks out of the wall. Some does not. The tourists were very good at getting just the right camera angle to make the effect work. If the camera was in just a little different spot, you wouldn’t see the effect.

Most are flat surfaces but a few have cutouts in the wall (girl on horse), or a flat prop elsewhere in the room (guy on horse, guy behind coiled snakes).
To get in the right position they probably are taking cues from the photographer; “move you hand a little higher, a little higher, now to the leeeeft, and freeze!”

The toenail painting and Asian torture seem to be trompe l’oeil; both are painted directly on the wall (including the frame).

Note in the toenail painting how there’s a shadow of the foot and brush, but no shadow of the woman’s hand holding the brush.

In the Asian torture there’s a shadow below the paddle and to the right and below the frame, but the person holding the paddle has a shadow falling to the viewer’s left.

Actually, I think these are quite disappointing in real life, because they look weird from any other point besides the one where the picture was taken. With 3D vision, they look weird even from that point.