Interesting bit of aviation history – Jackie Cochran

I meant to post this on May 11th (her birthday), but got sidetracked. I figured better late than never, though.

A brief summation, for those unfamiliar. In the early part of last century when flying was something new and unusual, female pilots were a rarity and therefore newsworthy. The most famous of course is Amelia Earhart, but (imo) Jackie Cochran was the more interesting aviation pioneer. She accomplished much more (not the least of which was surviving to old age), including being the first woman to break the sound barrier, being an instrumental figure in starting the WASPs, the first woman to fly a bomber, and the first woman to fly the Atlantic. She set a variety of speed records in several planes (including F-104s and F-84s), and at the time of her death in 1980 held more speed and distance records than any pilot in history, male or female, living or dead.

In addition to this, she was (I think) the first woman air-race pilot. She competed as the only female pilot in the 1937 Bendix air race, where she came in third, and won the trophy in 1938. I’m sure the other pilots here will back me when I say that these early air-race planes were staggeringly dangerous to fly, and it took an exceptionally skilled pilot to fly (and survive) them.

In 1937, she had a Monocoupe custom-built to fly as her personal aircraft. This plane was very fast, although not enough to enter in the Bendix competition. It was also quite the handful to fly and eventually crashed, killing another pilot who was flying it at the time. At this point, the plane (or its wreckage anyway) seems to have been forgotten.
Now shifting the storyline to the present, I promise I’ll tie this all together.

Occasionally, I am called on to deliver airplanes, usually from seller to buyer. Last month I was asked to deliver a small plane from the northeast to its new owner in the DFW area and I took my son along so he could share the flying. We flew commercial to the plane’s location and were met by an interesting and gracious gentleman who was our host for the next few days (weather prevented my planned departure). He was a very accomplished and experienced pilot who’d retired several years ago and I had a marvelous time listening to his stories.

During our examination and test flight of the purchase aircraft, he mentioned his small collection of aircraft in a nearby hangar and offered to give us a tour. I followed him through a small door into the hangar, and when he turned on the lights, this is what I saw. You guessed it… back in the corner is Jackie Cochran’s custom-built 1937 Monocoupe. He acquired the remains several years ago, and has completely rebuilt it. He uses this machine as his “daily-driver” (so to speak).
A great deal of the parts are original, although a significant portion had to be built from new, due to crash damage. It is still certified as “experimental” and according to him it is capable of at least 250 knots (288 mph). For the pilots, the airspeed indicator has no limitation markings. No white or yellow arc, no redline. Whether this is a product of its age, or the experimental category, I don’t know.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take a ride in it, as the weather conspired to keep us all grounded. When it finally lifted, we had to depart quickly in the purchase airplane in order to make the maximum westward progress before the next weather front grounded us. We made it to Arkansas late that night after 11 hours in the cockpit, and finished the remainder of the flight the following day.

If I haven’t bored you to tears yet, here a few pics of the return trip in the plane we picked up.

My son and I, just before departure
Breaking out on top, somewhere over Cincinnatti
Me and son in cockpit.. For the pilot’s, When’s the last time you saw and old ADF like that?
Approaching the Mississippi near sundown.

Yipes. Missed the edit window. Could a mod correct that first link?

Pretty cool. Earhardt wasn’t much of an aviator, but she was pretty good at grabbing publicity. If she had just crashed and died someplace identifiable she would just be famous for crashing airplanes.

Unfortunately, I still encounter them from time to time. The last time I really had to use one was several years ago on my CFII checkride. I had to do an NDB hold in a 20-knot crosswind, during which I would have sold my mother down to Rio for a Garmin 430.

Interesting about the Cochrane airplane. I believe a couple of Lindbergh’s aircraft are still around being flown by general aviation folks.

While Earjardt may not be much of an aviator a lot of her public exhibition was driven by her husband.

interesting bit of trivia. She was instrumental in the WAAC. That was a dedicated group of people.

Actually I didn’t mean to blast on Earhardt so much as point out that greater contributions like Cochran’s are overshadowed by other’s publicity.

FromWikipedia:

Because it’s worth repeating:

Thanks for posting this. You have a very cool job.

The last entry in my logbook was 1985 in a C152 :frowning:

You’re welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately though, it’s not my job. I just do it occasionally when someone needs a plane moved. Hope you get airborne soon!

(I’m taking a Cessna to New Mexico tomorrow; I’ll post if anything interesting passes under the wing:))

No, that would be Amelia Earhart (last name spelled correctly here), in 1928 - a couple of years prior to Jackie Cochran’s first solo flight.

As a minor hijack, I’ll mention Amy Johnson, who was the UK’s best known female pilot, setting various records in the 1930s but dying in a wartime flying accident… She set records in both her Gypsy Moth and a De Havilland D.H.80A Puss Moth (this one wasn’t hers, btw.)

And Al Stewart wrote a song about her. Here’s him and guitar ghod Dave Nachmanoff performing it.

Where were you in Arkansas, Pullin?