Interesting Subdivision Street Name Themes

There’s a neighborhood near me where streets are named after astronomica objects:

There is a portion of the Levittown development in my town where the streets all carry the names of the 1956 or 1957 NY Giants football players.

I remember that link and I’ve been trying to find it. I’m pretty sure it was in England and the street names were recognizably British.

Found it!

From this thread.

Thanks to GorillaMan. Holt Farm, Leeds, Yorkshire UK

Bonus from HubZilla. Pearl City, HI

Not quite on topic, but when I visited Edmonton AB I found the downtown street naming system bothersome. All were numbered. East-west were numbered: 101st Ave, 102nd Ave, and so on. North-south were 101st Street, 102nd Street, and so on. It was at times a bit difficult to decode, especially after spending some time at the bar.

The suburb Castlecrag in Sydney has streets named after parts of Edinburgh Castle (as the crag of rock it is built on was originally called Edinburgh Castle): The barbette, The barbican, The barricade, The bartizan, The bastion, The battlement, The bulwark, The citadel, The high tor, The outpost, The palisade, The parapet, The postern, The rampart, The redoubt, The scarp, The tor walk and my favourite, Sortie Port. There are also Tower, Casement, and Turrett Reserves, and the main street through the centre is Edinburgh Rd.

Austin, TX also likes its gunslingers.

Dammit, missed the edit window. Annie Oakley Way, Masterson Way, Hickock St, etc.

I can’t seem to get it to link properly. :smack:

Not sure how interesting it is, but in San Luis Obispo, CA there is a flower subdivision (Goldenrod Ln, Dahlia Ct, Poinsettia St, Marigold Ln, etc) and a tree subdivision (Alder St, Spanish Oaks Dr, Purple Sage Ln, Ironbark St, etc).

I’ve been to Columbia, MD (mentioned upthread by Paul in Qatar) and driven around the streets in Hobbit’s Glen. Can’t remember any of the street names, but they were pretty cool.

Isn’t there a Beatles-themed subdivision in Euless or at least Tarrant County? I recall seeing a Norwegian Wood, Abbey Rd, and Penny Ln.

My city too has a Sherwood Forest subdivision. Google Maps

…and after awhile, and enough repitition, those words all start to blur together & become meaningless.

I recently wrote a poem about the subdivision I grew up in; part of it went,
“Crestmoor Parkside Valleywood Skyline
Rollingwood Hillcrest Hillside Crestmont
Parkingcrest Sidewood Moormont Linehill
ValleyParkMoorSideCrestHillMontWood
BelGreenLakeBraeBrookGlenRidgeDale”

Gaaaaah!

A row of parallel streets in my home town are named in alphabetical order (missing, for some reason, an “F”, but with two "G"s to make up for it). I didn’t notice this until it was pointed out to me.

Here in Boston, the nice new parallel streets of Back Bay (so different from the tiny, twisty, turny streets that are all alike in the North End) got named in alphabetical order, too, starting at the Public Garden with Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, … all the way to Hereford. (The next street is the major thoroughfare Massachusetts Avenue – MassAve)

Bowie, Maryland, which I think may be in part a Levittown, also has lettered sections, here’s S, which is bounded by T, but also B. There’s no rhyme or reason to it.

Here’s one in Newfoundland named after US states Of course it used to be a US airbase.:smiley:

Also in San Jose, there is a section with a candy/sweets theme:
Gumdrop Dr
Sugarplum Dr
Bonbon Dr
Taffy Dr
Peanut Brittle Dr
Peppermint Dr

I can’t decide whether Sugarplum or Peanut Brittle would be more embarrassing as an address.

Many of Plattsburgh NY’s main streets are named aftr women: Helen St., Elizabeth St., Catherine St., Cornelia St. It was a particularly sophomoric joke – but in defense, we were college sophomores at the time – to list them off and finish with another main street: Broad Street. :slight_smile:

Near where my father now lives in York, PA, there is a very small subdivision with two street names: Sarazen Way and Hogan’s Cove. Obviously the developer intended to have a few more streets…and, just thinking out loud here, maybe a golf course? Neither panned out.

The Sacramento area has a “Garden of the Gods” with street names like:

Thor
Olympus
Mercury
Venus
Ceres
Neptune
Morpheus
Orion
Adonis
Ulysses
Vulcan
Major streets in that area are named for inventors:

Watt
Howe
Marconi
Fulton
Bell
Edison

This is in the eastern suburbs of Cincinnati:

Elrond, Moria, Rivendell

Lots of the streets here are named after spaces on a Monopoly board.