Internment

Out of curiosity, I researched this statement of yours and this is what I found. According to this site:

(Bolding mine.)

So, basically, the questionaire was administered AFTER they had already been imprisoned, and 12,000, not the 50,000 you claimed were deemed “disloyal” due to their answers, also including those who refused to fill out any forms at all. (Not all of the internees were subjected to the “loyalty test.”) As of yet, I have not found evidence that Germans and Italians were asked to sign similar forms, but I’m still looking.

The Axis powers were relatively uninterested in civilian exchange. They were a burden on the government, having no homes or jobs, and their loyalty was questionable. (Quite a few of those who were taken out of US camps to be sent to Germany ended up in German camps because the Germans were afraid they might be spies.) There were two exchanges involving the Germans kidnapped from South America and brought to the US for that purpose, but in all, exchanges were very few when compared to the overall number of internees. Exchange is a flimsy excuse indeed.

This site talks about Bergen-Belsen which was osetnsibly to hold Allied prisoners.

Internment would not have been a protection against acusations by the Japanese government of “aiding” the US war effort, either, because, according to this site:

Dr D:

It was wrong to intern (imprison) anyone who was not guilty of any crime. Requiring the citizens of countries with which the United States was at war did not require imprisoning them and those who just happened to have descended from other citizens of those countries.

Lissa- nice cite. But go back & read it. Bergen-Belsen was not for Allied citizens. If it had been , it would have been under protection from Genva. It was used to hold Jews & others who had contacts or relatives in the USA. Yes, things were horrible there- true, less horrible than in the true “death camps”, but nothing like an internment camp. AFAIK, nearly all the USA citizens interned by Germany were exchanged.

Sorry about the Bergen-Belsen misatributation. My mistake. I was typing too quickly, and not paying close enough attention.

Here are some sites about Allied citizen internees:

This site states that 18,745 American citizens were held by the Axis powers during WWII. 1,704 died of starvation and disease while in the camps. Some were not released until the end of the war. The article (the second to last on the page entitled "Congressional Record) does not even mention prisoner exchange. It focuses primarily on one internee in particular, but the * Congressional Record * article gives some statistics on other internees.

This site says that of the almost 19,000 prisoners, 14,000 were held by Japan (which leaves close to five thousand in Germany.)

Yes- I searched, and the web is full of sites about the US interning the Germans, or the Japanese, etc. But very little about the US citizens who were interned by the Axis- or if there is more, it’s lost in the mass of other info. The term used is “repatriation”, and certainly citizens were repatriated- but I can’t find anywhere how many.

However, it appears I was wrong- most Citizens were not exchanged- Japan exchanging few. Some were, but I can’t find how many. Mostly we exchanged with Germany, and very few with Japan. A WAG might surmise that as many US citizens were in Germany/Italy as Japan, and thus since there were 15K internees in Japan, and 5K in Germany that 10K were repatriated- but that’s just a WAG. I can’t back this up with any solid numbers, despite hours spent searching. Thanks for the sites, I had found one of them myself (Congressional record).
There is a twist on the Bergen-Belsen story. These relatives & such of Allied citizens were kept to be exchanged for Germans interned in Allied Internment camps. The Nazis wanted to exchange something like 20000 of the Jews in this camp. America was all for it, but Britain nixed the deal. They pointed out (correctly) that we didn’t need another 20000 loyal Germans working to help the German war industry. There was also some issues about their relocation to Palestine/Isreal. IMHO, this was short sighted on the part of the Brits. We certainly would have won anyway, the Germans would not have made that big a contribution, and many Jews there would have been saved.

Oh, and not to open up a new can of worms, but- If we had invaded, or starved Japan out (instead of dropping “the Bomb”)- there is little doubt that the 15000 US Citizens interned would not have survived until the end. They were already going fast- along with some 30K US POW’s. That’s something like 40000 americans who would have starved also, along with untold millions of Japanese.

Still my point remains. Even if you disagree with interning “enemy aliens” it still was a recognized part of International Law, and at that time was not controversial. But- interning your own citizens simply because they are of a certain racial background is undeniably wrong. The two issues are not the same, and should not be indiscriminately mixed together when writing about them.

And, as I said before, neither was slavery.

The facts remain that:

1. Japanese people were barred from becomming citizens.

2. Internment had no benefits as to national security.

3. Internment was largely based on racism and cultural xenophobia.

4. Internees were, in effect, declared “guilty” without any due process.

Even if wholesale internment of aliens can possibly be considered “legally” right, by no stretch of the immagination can it be considered ethically right. Imprisoning people simply because of their nation of orgin is wrong, plain and simple. Despite the fact that they are not citizens, I can’t see how declaring them guilty without possiblity of proving their innocence can be justified.

If an *individual * can be proven to be a danger, then he should be either deported or imprisoned. People cannot help where they were born, but they are responsible for their behavior. It only makes sense to punish those who have earned it.