[QUOTE=Ferret Herder]
IMO, the most accessible album might be Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. “Heavy Metal Drummer” is nicely upbeat, while “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart” and “Ashes of American Flags” are more slow and emotional. It took a few listens-through for me to really catch on to the other songs, but now I find the album is one of my overall favorites.
A joyous mix of their selections, if you want to invest in a double album, is Kicking Television: Live in Chicago. I’ve heard most of these songs before but find I like the live versions as much or more in most cases.
Try AllMusic for reviews and samples of their songs.
[/QUOTE]
See, I think Summerteeth is their most accessible. It reminds me of the Beatles.
I actually like Mermaid Ave. Volume 1 more than any of the stuff they did on their own. If you like it, you should listen to Billy Bragg (who I admit to liking more than Wilco as well).
[QUOTE=Scissorjack]
If you like Wilco, actually - or even if you don’t - you could do much worse then check out the Replacements {or their main man Paul Westerberg} for superb country-punk songwriting and soulful tunes with a hard guitar edge: their last album, All Shook Down, is probably their most accessible, but any of their earlier, rawer stuff like Pleased To Meet Me is a fine mix of raucous glory and tender acoustic numbers.
[/QUOTE]
I second the Replacements recommendation! They’re such a great band. Just a nitpick: Pleased To Meet Me isn’t one of their earlier albums, it’s their fifth. I haven’t heard any of their earliest albums, so I don’t know what they sound like.
The album of theirs that I like best is Let It Be. They have three great albums in a row: Let it Be, Tim, and Pleased to Meet Me. I haven’t heard much of All Shook Down. Specific Replacements songs I’d recommend:
“I Will Dare”
“Androgynous”
“Unsatisfied”
“Answering Machine”
“Kiss Me On the Bus”
“Here Comes A Regular”
“Skyway”
[QUOTE=Gatopescado]
Like Wilco? You’ll LOVE early Jayhawks. Get “Hollywood Town Hall”, maybe “Smile”, try “Tomorrow the Green Grass”.
All the things that make Wilco catchy, with out all the stuff that doesn’t.
[/QUOTE]
Wow, I was going to recommend The Jayhawks too. A good place to look for their cds would be a store that cells used cds. I’ve seen quite a few Jayhawks cds at Half Price Books (don’t let that fact scare you away).