Introducing a vegetarian to fish...

so I rarely post because I’m terribly shy but I’m in a bit of a pickle. A friend who has been a vegetarian for ten years has asked me to introduce her to the wonderful world of seafood, since soon we will be traveling to Corsica for a week, and she doesn’t want to immediately hork up whatever she eats there. So my job is to acclimate her. Any suggestions? She’s leaving the menu up to me, and I am a decent cook but my taste doesn’t really veer towards bland foods-- I like the spicy. Something tells me this is not a good way to introduce her to seafood. Please help!

Oh, and she does eat dairy.

Thanks! Help me! Thanks!

I have no expertise, but my WAG would be to start with something mild, like say tuna salad.

because a large amount of any seafood would most likely upset her stomach, try making a dish she nromaly eats, and adding a bit of fish to it. then work up gradually.

I was a veg for many years and started up with fish.

Don’t try something that is steak like. Like a big chunk of tuna, cod or shark. The imagery of steak will probably be off putting.

A whole fish with bones and everything would probably also be off putting.

Little pieces of fish mixed in with pasta or tuna salad mentioned above would be my suggestion.

[ed norton] Hello, fish… [/ed norton]
I agree with the small amount of fish, but try to get some that doesn’t smell too fishy. Ask your local fish seller. Maybe you could try a small amount of mild shellfish, like scallops?
Good luck.

. . . Are you sure she’s not just coming on to you?

I would go for low fat. I’m a fish-e-tarian, which means I do not eat land animals. If it swims or crawls at the bottom of an ocean, I call it lunch. I have found that what upsets vegetarian’s stomachs (read: what upsets my stomach) is the inability to digest animal fats. I have found that fish and seafood seem to have a different kind of fat than beef, pork or poultry. At least, it’s far easier for me to digest, which is why I still eat it. Slip a little chicken broth into a sauce and I’ll be running for a bathroom within 30 minutes of eating it. So, on the off chance fish or seafodd will upset her stomach – make sure you are near a bathroom where she feels comfortable and has privacy and can not leave for a while if she needs to stay in there. (I know what this is like – it’s no laughing matter and can be quite painful. Off track: If any meat eaters out there think this is bunk and plan on slipping some sort of animal fat into a veggie’s diet because they won’t possibly notice: you’re just being mean. The veggie person will notice.)

While some fishes, particularly cold water fishes, like salmon and tuna can be very high in fat (and mercury, but let’s not go there!). So I would avoid those. I agree with the bony fishes, typically freshwater, but you can also find bony ocean fish. They would be lower in fat, but I can see how bitty bones may turn off a strict vegetarian. I hated fish until I lived in Florida where I learned why: nobody in Ohio knew how to cook fish properly. It was always overdone, deep fried and had been frozen far too long. Do not cook fish or seafood too long, deep fry it, or use something that’s been frozen for more than a week or so.

I would try:
• some nice grouper filets (mmmm… grouper)
• tilapia is a light, white fish, comes in filets, has a mild taste and does not smell fishy
• sea bass – prepared in a restaurant (mmm… sea bass)
• mahi mahi or dolphin fish (fish, not the mammal like Flipper) is very good, but I’ve only seen it in Florida and it’s a bit steaky in texture. Does not look, smell or taste like beef steak, so I don’t see how that would turn off a veggie, but whatever.
• shrimp – very low in fat, so mild they’re practically tasteless, no fishy smell if they aren’t too old, goes with everything and you can pop a couple in a pasta dish, put 'em on pizza, grill 'em as shish kebobs over basmati rice, make a yummy spicy gumbo… Try to get really fresh, but if you’re in NY, you’ll have no choice but to get 'em frozen.

I’d recommend a restaurant rather than attempt this stuff yourself. Most people have no concept of how to cook fish and seafood – because most people live far enough inland to not have a lot of experience with it. Seafood does not have to taste or smell fishy – if it does, it’s either at least 24 hours too old or the cook does not know what he or she is doing. IMHO.

Finally, I don’t know why spicy might be taboo. Vegetarians aren’t children – we can handle spice. In fact, spicy is the only way I can handle tofu (I hate tofu). Many Indian, Thai and other ethnic vegetarian dishes are very spicy. Have you actually asked this person if she likes spicy food? Just because she’s a vegetarian doesn’t mean she lives on mild, tasteless foods like salad, steamed vegetables and tofu. Chances are, she’s been a veggie long enough to have experimented with way more than that, having gotten sick of the plain mild stuff a long time ago. Unless you know she has ulcers or something…

Oh and my last suggestion would be to go to a bookstore, Amazon or library and find a Corsican cookbook and make some of the dishes in it. Then she’ll know if she’ll hork up whatever she eats there.

I think I know what I’m having for lunch later! :wink:

wow, thanks for all the suggestions. Dogzilla, she likes the spicy as much as I do, but since she’s a delicate sort and worries about reacting badly to the sudden fish in the belly I’d like to stay away from too much spiciness because I tend to overdo it (I’m Thai, and I have a problem with chili peppers…mmm). Though once she gets used to fish I plan to introduce her to my sweet chili catfish. Thai and southern combined into one…

Eve, why yes, she IS coming on to me. This is why I don’t want to make her vomit. Cause she’s pretty, and vomit is not.

I think I shall try something along the lines of scallops (thanks, Devena!) to start off with, move up to the sea bass, and maybe after that try shrimp. Scampi? On pasta? She loves pasta.

Since she wants me to do the cooking we’ll steer clear of restaurants (plus restaurant bathrooms = non-fun vomit places)-- don’t worry, dogzilla, I’ve been cooking seafood for years but blanked on what actually to fix for a first-timer. Also, grouper sounds excellent.

Thanks again, everybody!

Well, good grief, could you e-mail me the recipe for the sweet chili catfish? My e-mail is in my profile.

Sounds fabulous!

(I can grow Thai chili peppers in Florida, right?)

If you have a Trader Joe’s in your area, get their inezpensive frozen Dover Sole.

It’s filleted, and Dover sole has the least typical “fish taste” of anything I’ve tried, while still being wuite flavorful in t gentle way.

Bake it in a greased pan with some olive oil, lemon juice, and paprika

How abot something like a Shrimp Pad Thai, i love that stuff, but there’s no Thai resturants in my area, the closest one is back in Kittery, Me, a 3 hour drive from Barre, Vt :frowning:

Take anything she likes already… my first thought was of a veggie stirfry and add a little fish to it. Shrimp and scallops both work fantastically in stirfry and over pasta.

Also… isn’t a ‘fish-e-tarian’ called a pescetarian? I seem to remember a thread about this.

I went to Corsica as a vegetarian and, well, I only lapsed once to the tune of a bakers pizza with tuna. Basically it is possible to eat vegetarian there so long as you are prepared to eat a lot of omelettes and cheese… but you will certainly enjoy a lot more variety with fish. Corsica is a wonderful place, do go on the railway over the mountains if you can and have a great time.

Shrimp and scallops are both good things to start with, especially because, well, they don’t really have complex inner lives, so it’s hard to feel too bad about killing and eating them. :slight_smile:

It’s been a while since I lived in VT, but I think Montpelier is right up the road from Barre. (Scroll down, it’s called Royal Orchid Thai Restaurant) I found a bunch more googling “Thai restaurant Vermont.”

Back to the OP, I’ll second, third, whatever scallops. My sort-of vegetarian gf loves them, especially when I make kabobs and grill them with onions, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and peppers. Top it with a little lemon-dill sauce, and you’re good to go. Good luck!

If she was a vegetarian for moral reasons (e.g. dislikes the slaughtering of animals), just show her any of the episodes of Iron Chef where the theme ingredient is some kind of seafood, presented to the chefs in a live state.

I guarantee you, she will never want to eat seafood after that.

My totally anecdotal experience: I was happily vegetarian for five years, until I started working in a restaurant that did occasional catering jobs. The smells of bacon, sausage, beef, chicken, etc. did nothing for me except occasionally gross me out, but one day the chef barbequed salmon fillets over a bed of herbs, and I nearly swooned with delight from the aroma. Six months of careful consideration later, I decided to start eating fish again, beginning with salmon barbequed over an open fire at the Makah Indian reservation. I’ve never looked back.

I’d recommend barbequed salmon. But that may just be me.

Actually, I’d recommend something slightly different: even if you’re choosing the menu, she’s likely to have some sort of preference. Before she turned vegetarian, did she have a favorite type of seafood? When other people order things, does she occasionally lust after a particular dish or a particular aroma?

Whatever you do, of course, make certain that it’s exquisitely fresh: this isn’t the time, if there’s ever a time, to skimp on cost by going for the frozen or (shudder) several-day-old seafood.

I would recommend against grouper, but again, that may just be me: I think grouper is nasty.

Finally, I was half-expecting you to be one of my local friends, given the name; are you just at a home away from home or something?

Daniel

wow, all these responses, and me a newbie at posting. I feel almost devirginized. Perhaps now I should write something offensive and badly spelled in the Pit.

veggie stirfy is an excellent idea, since I can make a delicious stir fry with my eyes closed. My mom practically beat it into me. Can’t believe it never occurred to me.

Dogzilla, by the way, my sweet chili catfish is embarassingly simple and not very, uh, precise. Just fry up catfish in chunks using your chosen method (mmm, crisco lake), chop up a few thai chilis, get a bottle of that sweet chili sauce (what is that stuff called? Arrgh), dump it over the top of the catfish chunks with a few chopped scallions, roasted garlic, dried shrimps if you’ve got 'em, and serve with lots of cucumber sliced thin. On the side-- this is essential-- make a nam prik sauce (fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, chili peppers) and dip the catfish in there just before cramming it in your mouth with the veggies.

For those curious, she’s only 25, and so the last time she ate fish she was fifteen and her parents didn’t know how to make it. So she’s never had sushi-- I think she only remembers eating fish sticks. Also, she became a vegetarian because she had some sort of stomach surgery and was unable to keep anything down that was even slightly interesting.

Left Hand of Dorkness, I grew up in NC (Winston-Salem) and moved to NYC a few years ago. I have always admired your name and actually wrote a college paper on Left Hand of Darkness.

Thanks again, guys. Of course-- VERY VERY fresh seafood, all-out deliciousness, and I think to cap it all off we’ll hit one of the fancy sushi joints in the city (when she feels up to it)…

Also, railway over the mountains… check. Now on the itinerary. I should start another thread on Corsica…

Introduce your friend to seafood with the Fish Slapping Dance! :cool:

I got an idea from the Moosewood cookbook. Fish and vegetable tempura is an easy, bland, and veggie rich meal. You can use shrimp and scallops or maybe some other cubed white fish and just about any firm vegetable that takes to deep frying.