Introversion

Oh my God we must be soul sisters. I honestly could have wrote this myself.

Especially if there are lots of beanbag chairs, lava lamps and Pink Floyd. So everyone’s got a good reason to kick back and not talk much. :smiley:

Interesting. I find hanging out with other introverts exclusively to be far more uncomfortable than being with a mixed group or only extroverts. Why? I feel more pressure to think of things to say to other introverts, and that’s stressful - probably because I’m not so introverted that I like “companionable silences.” Extroverts are thrilled to carry a conversation, so there’s less to worry about with some of them around.

I’m only an introvert at home. In public I’m friendly and talkative at times. At work I’m nose to the grindstone but friendly. I just could not be that way all the time. I like the term “compatable silences”. Some people just hit you with non stop chatter it feels like being hit with bullets. Talk to me, not at me. It exhausts me and I need to go home to get some silence.

I Am Much Too Alone in This World, Yet Not Alone
by Rainer Maria Rilke
Translated by Annemarie S. Kidder

I am much too alone in this world, yet not alone
enough
to truly consecrate the hour.
I am much too small in this world, yet not small
enough
to be to you just object and thing,
dark and smart.
I want my free will and want it accompanying
the path which leads to action;
and want during times that beg questions,
where something is up,
to be among those in the know,
or else be alone.

I like people and I like solitude. Problem is: in my opinion, we live in a very extroverted or (if you will) other-directed culture, in America, I mean, and the vast majority of even highly educated people I know are essentially extroverts, which isn’t to say they’re social butterflies or blabbermouths but they take their “social clues” from their class, think and behave in ways appropriate to that class, whether it’s reading matter. movies, music, politics or theater. This is what drives me up and wall and far more into inner directedness than I would wish. The “small, still voice” is no longer valued these days, or so it seems, and we live in what’s coming to feel increasing like a “groupthink” world. As a result, I’m highly introverted. I’d rather only moderately introverted.

I don’t “hang out” with groups that are majority introverts, but I do go to gatherings where most people are introverts. The difference is that the gatherings have calendars, goals, activities, i.e., something to talk about if you want; at the same time, if someone is sitting on a sofa with a soda in his hand, just “watching the crowds go by”, nobody feels an obligation to sit down with them or “draw them out”, watching the crowds go by is a perfectly acceptable activity in crowds of introverts.

I’ve had introverts ask (and I’ve asked it myself) “you ok there?” and if the answer is “yep”, it’s believed and the person is left alone. When they want to talk with someone, they will.