Iowa (and other states) laws propose to video monitor public education

I wouldn’t be sure that the goal is to actually pass these laws. It could just be pushing something they know won’t happen so that the parents have it as more proof that the public schools are against them.

Rather than railing against this as overreach or pointing out the obvious negatives of such a proposal, I suggest we all reference the one thing that can break through the programming: pedophilia. Just point out that, if the parents can see it, then so can the pedophiles. And how helpful it will be to the pedophile rings to know where all the children are at all times. Suggest the politicians who suggested it are just part of the pedo rings.

Don’t go after this for any reason they would consider “leftist.” Act like you’re one of them, and let them cry out about it. That would undermine what I said in my first paragraph.

See, I’m in a district with 150k students, so 40k sounds cozy. Like, i bet the superintendent knows the principals all by name!

I tend to agree this isn’t meant seriously, and is being done more to fan the flames about the horrors of public school. Like congress, people who hate public school in general often think there own is okay. Like, its all the others that are full of indoctrinating commies, but not here. Pur teachers are the good ones.

Didn’t we just do this? I know I sat in my dining room watching the teacher over my kid’s shoulder through all of second grade and nearly died of boredom. Presumably a lot of Trumpy parents did the same thing. If teachers were pushing CRT or whatever the hell they’re afraid of, wouldn’t there be a whole bunch of actual anecdotal reports of that happening?

Update: To the relief of 99.9% + of the people affected by it, the bill died quickly in committee.

Good to hear that this bill died in committee.

In addition to the problem of pedophiles watching the cams, which is not a small problem, what about people thinking about shooting up a school? Especially if they’re picking out specific targets?

Well this is on me because I didn’t read the article linked in the OP, but I didn’t realize this law was still in committee. All sorts of stupid laws are proposed by politicians and I’m convinced many of them have no intention or expectation of having it passed. They’re just doing it to drum up support among their constituents. But these days I shouldn’t assume a stupid law won’t be passed.

If I (inappropriately) ingnore the entire point of bills like this and think about the six schools I attended K-12 and the nine one of my siblings attended, a feature like this might have made initial selection and later gtfo decisions easier. Not all kids thrive in every environment, and teachers fall along a wide distribution of skill and ability, but it’s harder to identify problems through the filter of what a kid brings home in their head or in their backpack.

As for the downsides, others have already written it better than I could.