IP address lookup

Is there a free place on the web where I can look up someone’s IP address? That is, I know the IP address of people who visit my homepage, but want to know more about their identity. I’ve been trying ‘whois’ gateways, such as at InterNic, but don’t get any IP matches.

I am not real sure but I would guess that information is not available. I am sure that lots of web pages would like to find out more about the people that visit, though most people are probably not assigned an IP address personally.

I have cable modem and it requires an IP address, but the cable company assigns one each time I reboot the machine. So it would be different everytime I visit a web site.

I think you may be out of luck.

Jeffery

If you got a real website with a real name, you should be able to check IP’s from your server logs.

If you want to know more about someone, you FINGER them, not whois.

Some CGI scripts, like this board uses can & often do note the IP address for everyone who logs on.

They may note the IP address, but there is nothing that tells anything more than that about me. Especially, when my IP address changes each time I reboot.

Jeffery

Finding out the person using a particular IP address is not easy; it will only work in the cases (usually corporations or colleges) that assign a static IP address to their workers’ computers.

Most Internet ISPs assign dynamic IPs, which pull the number for a pool of IPs whenever someone logs on. The number is reassigned when you hang up. You can find out the ISP of anyone visiting your site from the IP address (just do a whois), but that information isn’t always useful (e.g., if it says it comes from someone on AOL, it doesn’t tell you much about location). If you have a court order, you can go to the ISP and check their records (that’s how they tracked down Melissa’s creator), but the ISP isn’t going to give that information out just for asking.

www.sff.net/people/rothman

Is there a free place on the web where I can look up someone’s IP address? That is, I know the IP address of people who visit my homepage, but want to know more about their identity.

You could just plug the ip address into the browser window and see where it takes you, then look for profiles or other info at the domain you get.
Probably not real reliable though.

I’ve been trying ‘whois’ gateways, such as at InterNic, but don’t get any IP matches.

There is a better set of tools available here: http://kryten.eng.monash.edu.au/gspam.html
But still sometimes all you get is the server information, the personal stuff is often harder to find, there may be a hundred different people running thru a floating proxy address, but you should at least be able to find the isp that owns the server.

It seems like you’re doing some kind of market research.

Cheese Head, what information do you hope to find? Demographics? Web logs? Will this really help you? I could never understand this kind of information gathering. Hey maybe I’m just ignorant, but how will the information you hope to find benefit you? You obviously have some good ideas.

http://combat.uxn.com/ is very good.

“It seems like you’re doing some kind of market research. Cheese Head, what information do you hope to find? Demographics? Web logs? Will this really help you?”

I’m not doing market research. It’s just my personal home page, although I have a lot of sub-pages and stuff there, and I’ve noticed an increase in visits lately. I use SuperStats which tells me the IP address of my visitors. I’m just curious to know more about who these visitors are. That’s all.

It does seem like IP address lookup tools would be valuable for people doing market research, though.

The there is a nice little graphical program that gives you traceroute, hostname lookup and whois for both domain names and addresses. As a matter if fact, it gives you a whois for every address/domain name in the traceroute. It then attempts to lay the route out on a map, so that you can actually see where network traffic is really going.

It’s called Visual Route.
You can get it here
http://www.visualroute.com

My ISP emails me once a week al the details about anyone & everyone who ever came to my site. Each report is about 3000 lines. Even Webjump, a free webpage site [25 megs] emails me every week the stats. That’s 2 ISPS that do that, so you might look into that Cheese.

IE:

Domain Report

Listing domains, sorted by the amount of traffic.

#reqs: %bytes: domain
-----: ------: ------
5177: 38.20%: .com (Commercial)
3444: 31.99%: .net (Network)
1408: 14.96%: [unresolved numerical addresses]
385: 2.85%: .edu (USA Educational)
34: 2.24%: .es (Spain)
282: 1.65%: .us (United States)
150: 1.24%: .mil (USA Military)
167: 0.92%: .gov (USA Government)
122: 0.75%: .org (Non-Profit Making Organisations)
89: 0.68%: .au (Australia)

Heh. Hey handy, looks like your ISP uses “Analog” for web log analysis. That’s the same program I use for our sites and our customers’ sites. Analog is a pretty rockin’ program. Of course you need the raw web logs in order to run it yourself. If Cheese Head’s ISP supplied raw logs, he could run Analog himself if he was willing to go to the trouble.