Iron Mask and Guantanamo

In which the Straight Dope Science Advisory board wrote:

Prescient in 2001, just before Guantanamo became famous for keeping imprisoned people who probably knew nothing, and were just caught up in the red tape.

Monsieur D’anger would be a great name for an action hero.
“My first name is D’anger.”

Uh, I’d like to order a pizza to go with no anchovies…

No anchovies? You’ve got the wrong man. I spell my name,
D’anger!

Dex writes:

What is the difference between a “sedan chair” and a “litter”? I thought they were the same thing.

Some years ago, I read the book Miracle At Philadelphia: The Story of the Constitutional Convention May - September 1787 by Catherine Drinker Bowen describing the writing of the U. S. Constitution. This book describes Benjamin Franklin, elderly with arthritis, being carried about in a sedan chair. I looked it up at the time and found it described as a litter.

BTW, the dude in the mask may be alive still. There were reports he was seen dining with Elvis in 1993.

AIUI A sedan chair is an enclosed chair with long polls by which it is carried. The occupant is upright. A litter is like a stretcher and the occupant is supine.

Okay, I took the plunge and Googled That For Me.

From Wikipedia and a few other sources, it appears that “litter” is a much more general term for any wheelless vehicle for carrying one person, carried on poles by two or more other people. They have been in many different styles in many different cultures, over many centuries. The “sedan chair” as rsat3acr described it is just one style of litter (which is what I thought it was too).

It’s difficult to do a google image search for “litter”. (Guess what results it returns.) Googling for “sedan chair” gives a whole bunch of pictures of the upright seat style, with most of them being more-or-less enclosed. This apparently is was Saint-Mars was aiming for in transporting Dauger.

Googling for “sedan chair litter” gives a wider variety of styles, including some sitting, a few (not many) like a stretcher, and a bunch looking like an easy chair or recliner or little sofa, and many of them not very enclosed. Here is one example: Photo.

The Wikipedia article agrees that Ben Franklin used a sedan chair:

The citation is different from the one I cited earlier:

As it happens, D’anger is my middle name :slight_smile:

I wonder what the French/Italian word was that was translated as ‘litter’ for the references? It seems odd to think that they didn’t want him to lie down, because he might be seen if there was an accident, so they made him sit up in a manner used for cenutries by the rich and lazy, and /that/ almost killed him.