Ironically-named works

Benny Goodman’s “Sing Sing Sing!” is an instrumental.

What else?

Sorry to quibble but this song by Louie Prima, has lyrics.

Unchained Melody

How so? The name is because it’s the theme from the prison movie Unchained.

[Sing, sing, sing, sing
Everybody start to sing
La dee da, ho, ho, ho
Now you’re singing with a swing

And when the music goes around
Everybody goes to town
But here’s something you should know
Ho ho baby ho ho ho](Sing Sing Sing - Louis Prima - YouTube)

There’s a movie called The Virgin Machine which people think is ironic because they emphasize the wrong word. It’s a meandering documentary about lesbians in the sex industry (mostly for other lesbians, but some just generally), by way of documenting the filmmaker’s first lesbian affair.

People pronounce it “The VIRGIN Machine,” as in, a machine for making virgins, and think is has something to do with turning women off to sex with men, or it’s just ironic, because there isn’t a virgin to be found anywhere in the whole thing.

The filmmaker is German, even though the film is made in the US, so the film also has a German title, Die Jungfrauen Maschine. In English, you should pronounce it “The Virgin MACHINE,” the machine in question being the movie camera, because this is the filmmaker’s first movie. A better translation would probably be “The Virgin Camera.” A translation of intent, but much less provocative, would be “My First Movie.”

[

]("Lick My Love Pump" Scene from This Is Spinal Tap (1984) - YouTube):smiley:

Yeah, but it’s a melody that’s often sung. :wink:

The Never Ending Story

Perhaps Lionel Hutz’s only ever successful law suit.

Every rendition I’ve heard of “The Song That Never Ends” has actually ended fairly quickly.

The “Minute Waltz” isn’t. Off with his head! :smiley:

Jokes aside, it’s the Mi-nute, or short, waltz. Not a waltz intended to be performed in 60 seconds. That’s the amount of time you’re gone in, except that they took longer. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edith Wharton was good for ironic titles. There’s no mirth in The House of Mirth and not much innocence in The Age of Innocence.

“Mr. Brightside”

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius

Carly Simon - You’re So Vain

(Looking in the TV listings): “Is that still on?”

Weird Al’s This Song’s Just Six Words Long has a few more than six words in it.

**John Dies At The End
He doesn’t.

:confused: He really was so vain. He did think the song was about him.

The Kinks’ “A Well Respected Man” is ironic. Or at least sarcastic.

Barry Manilow’s “I Write the Songs:” he didn’t write the song.