Is 16 ozs of mecury in a container a hazardous material?

Is 16 ozs of mecury in a container considered a hazardous material? If yes, how can one dispose of it?

What state do you live in?

Yes, it is. Call the Department of Environmental Protection or similar agency in your state to find out how to properly dispose of it.

PA …

Go here.

Thanks Q.E.D. Calling now …

Great! Let us know what they tell you. I’m a bit curious now.

Or you could sell it on Ebay.

Me too… but I want to know where one would get 16 oz of mercury! That’s a lot of broken thermometers.

Oddly enough, despite the fact that auction links to it, mercury in elemental form is prohibited for shipping as a Class III Hazmat by USPS Publication 52, and is therefore against eBay’s Hazmat Policy. :rolleyes:

Odder yet, all of the other 20+ items for sale by that user are sex toys. :confused:

Very odd thing, to see that listings page. Dildo … dildo … dildo … liquid mercury … dildo … “One of these things is not like the others.”

I’m really not interested in selling 16 oz of mercury for ~$13, and I can assure you that I have no “other” items to sell :cool:

It’s the D-1000. The liquid metal dildo.

Wait, is that a pint of mercury or a pound of mercury?

A simple solution may be to just check with your dentist, they deal with this stuff all the time, it may even have some salvage value, last time I checked the stuff wasn’t cheap.

I would think mercury would normally be measured by mass, not volume.

“I’ll be bock.”

“I know you will, big boy! ;)”

One of my grandfathers was a retired chemistry/physics professor at a long since defunct junior college. He had several jars full of the stuff. I hate to even guess where it went.

I have several ounces of Hg that came in a carburetor balancing tool I bought about 20 years ago. (I keep it safely in an outdoor storage space, not in my apartment.) I’ve been thinking about contacting the local or state agency responsible for hazmat disposal about getting rid of it. But after reading about a couple of cases nearby in which schoolkids got their hands on some mercury, I’m a little reluctant to get official. The schools and the kids’ homes were subjected to multi-million-dollar cleanups.

Now, I realize that mercury isn’t kool-aid, but I think the hazards associated with it, as with so many other things in our society, have been the subject of dramatic overreactions. And I have no interest in some state bureaucrat declaring my three-bedroom condo a hazardous waste site. I’m wondering if there’s a way to get rid of the stuff without the risk of an overreaction.

So I’ll be interested in hearing from Gone4Subs about his experience with the PA state officials.

commasense – I wouldn’t worry about any complications with turning in the mercury. First, as long as you haven’t spilled it or anything, it’s fine. Nobody will ask questions or anything if the container is in good shape, especially with a relatively small amount and an obvious legitimate reason for having it.
And, it’s not like anyone can force you to tell them where it was, or prove you didn’t just find it on the street that morning. But you may want to get rid of it before it spills or kids find it, which is when people start being concerned.

The easiest thing, depending on where you live, is to find out if your town has a hazardous waste collection day, and drop it off then. Possibly the state may have somewhere you can take it, and occasionally hospitals or other institutions have mercury thermometer drop-off days – they should take pretty much any kind of mercury.

I got rid of an old mercury thermostat when I got a free energy audit from the gas company. Since they sell replacement thermostats as part of the program, they were set up to take old mercury ones back at the same time. So I didn’t even have to leave my two bedroom condo.

The scary thing about mercury poisoning is that you can’t really notice it. It takes a lot to affect an adult, but even very small amounts can screw up developing children (including fetuses if the mother is exposed) – they basically end up just a little stupider and slower than they should be. Not a risk worth taking, in my opinion – just get rid of the stuff.