[QUOTE=Merijeek]
Prove it. He was black, that’s it. I’ve seen almost every episode of every season, and I don’t recall any mention of the political party of ANY politician on that show.
[/QUOTE]
Season 1, Episode 18, 5:00 - 6:00 PM.
Around “5:07”, this is a portion of the dialog between Sherry and David Palmer (with Mike Novick present), as they are reviewing a tape recording that shows David’s son has been set up for the murder he’s accused of:
Sherry Palmer: Because you’re gonna win today. You’ll have enough delegates by eight o’clock. You are the Democratic Party’s candidate for president, whether you like it or not. And if you decide to self-destruct, it will take years for the party’s platform to recover.
David Palmer: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Why don’t we let the electorate decide on that? And I don’t consider telling the truth self-destructive. And how bad will it be for the Democrats if somebody else comes out with this first and I have to go on the defensive?
I actually started watching 24 in Season 2 (and then went back and saw Season 1 afterwards). And I liked the fact that in Season 2 they never mentioned anything about party affiliation – so in my mind, Palmer could have been either. I thought it was more fair and balanced that way.
People can bark about the torture angle all they want, but I think the show has done a decent job of not trying to push a heavy-handed partisan viewpoint. One might claim, for example, that the show espouses a more liberal view because the “good” presidents have been Dems (David Palmer, and one could justifiably conclude Wayne his brother is in the same party) and the “corrupt” ones Republicans (Logan, and to some extent his predecessor Keeler, at least in his willingness to blackmail Palmer at the end of season 3). But actually there have been shifty characters in the administrations of BOTH parties.
Wayne was more of the snake-like politician in season 3 (David’s chief of staff), and David Palmer seemed more willing to go along with his tactics. In season 4, Keeler seemed more noble, and Logan a wishy-washy indecisive fruitcake. In season 5, Logan (presumably Repub) of course was the corrupt creep. And in Season 6, Wayne is now the noble idealistic one, with his vice president being the war-hungry tyrant. Tell me they aren’t mixing it up!
The one thing that seems pretty consistent in the show – lots and lots of power-hungry and less-than-honorable people in politics, on all sides of the political spectrum. 'bout sums it up, don’t it?