Is a bottle of wine per night gonna destroy my liver?

so essentially, Yes im causing great damage to my body. Especially if I include once a month going to the bars and having waay more than 1 bottle.

You’re certainly putting it at significant risk. It’d take a medical examination and some tests to determine if a certain level of damage was occurring at this time. Some folks can consume a big quantity of alcohol steadily and it doesn’t cause much physical damage. Some dodge harm for a while, but eventually something in their physiology changes, and they start having more of a detrimental effect from alcohol. Some take damage early and often.

1. I was pretty sure he’d be in the early stages of cirrhosis by now but apparently not.

'Course, doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.

I’ve always heard a shot defined as 1 1/2 oz. Where did you get the 1 1/4 number from?

Alcoholic cirrhosis happens to 1 in 10 heavy drinkers after 10 years. Youre a heavy drinker. 1 in 10 is horrible odds.

Odds for cirrhosis get worse if you drink more than 40grams of pure alcohol a day. 10grams in a typical drink. A bottle of wine thats 750ml at 13% is roughly 7.7 drinks. Almost 8. So youre doing double what is considered the max right now.

I think that anyone who is drinking a bottle a night needs professional help, regardless of culture or health. Science doesnt care about whether your neighbor does it or whether your dad did it. This stinks of self-medication and serious mental health issues. Youre better off with medication that wont kill your liver.

>but it seemed to me that 3 or 4 glasses (which is about one bottle) was standard for many locals in the evening

Try six or seven glasses. With a 13% wine, youre almost at 8 servings because of how alcohol dense it is.

:frowning: Yeah. Kinda.
If you were my Parent, I’d be worried.
I mean, you’re doing fine for now, but this is long term sorta issue for the next couple decades hopefully for ya. People’s body’s tend to change as they get older, and it starts to happen right in their 40s for bone density growth, metabolism changes and all that fun stuff.

So yeah in short, you’re kinda being risky.

A bottle every day is too much, mate. I’d say that was intuitively obvious, but if you’re interested in quantifying it the NHS has a useful drink diary / unit calculator online. At 70 units per week, you’re three times the recommended level for a man. (A unit is 10 mL of ethanol)

Do you have a partner who can share the load, so to speak? Once the bottle is opened it’s easy to polish it off. Failing that, I’d be looking to skip the vin rouge entirely for a few days a week, or switch drinks so that you can consume less each day.

Balls, in certain countries this is perfectly normal and not remotely indicative of mental health issues (it may be in the US, perhaps).

Because all bartenders change the size of the pour based on alcohol level, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

In actual practice, a bottle of wine has 4-6 glasses in it, depending on how big the wine glasses are. I don’t know anyone who pours more or less wine based on the alcohol percent.

13% is probably the average alcohol percent in wine, if not a bit low. Most reds come in between 13.5 and 14.5, and I’ve seen bottles as high as 17% (to be truthful, I’ve only seen one of those, a crazy high alcohol Zinfandel.) But I’ve seen lots & lots of the big fruity wines that people are so gaga over nowadays weigh in at 15 & 16%.

Whites tend to run a little lower, but it’s the rare white that goes below 10%, and most are in the 11-13% range.

Yes, I drink too much wine. But not as much as the OP :smiley:

>Balls, in certain countries this is perfectly normal and not remotely indicative of mental health issues (it may be in the US, perhaps).

Life expectancy in Russia for men: 58 years old. You better believe that has to do with socially acceptable alcoholism. The idea that alcoholism has no tie in with mental health issues is laughable.

>I don’t know anyone who pours more or less wine based on the alcohol percent.

The point here is simple: 10grams per drink is the average. A bottle of wine at 13% alcohol is 770 grams, so he’s roughly drinking 7.7 drinks a night, not 3 or 4 as many are suggesting. The number of “drinks” is a useless metric. How many grams of alcohol is he consuming? 770? Yeah, thats a problem.

I think that your question is like asking “I smoke two packs of cigarettes per day. Will I get lung cancer?” Nobody can really answer it. I think it is most obvious that you are greatly increasing your chances of having liver disease, but noone can give you a “yes” or “no” answer.

My unsolicited advice: Lay off of the sauce. You will feel much better.

This post is a non sequitur. Angry Lurker was specifically talking about mental health issues, which you brought up in your earlier post.

Some beliefs you could have in Russia would get you locked up indefinitely in USA. Some beliefs you could have in USA would get you indefinitely locked up in Russian.

Who is right?

Science is right. Your local culture doesnt mean squat if youre killing your liver:

* A study which determined the risk level for developing cirrhosis in Australian men who drank alcohol found the risk increased significantly when alcohol intake exceeded 40 grams per day. The risk for women was determined to occur at a similar intake level. 40 gms/day (4 standard drinks) was concluded to be the safe maximum level for both men and women. [Batey R et al Med J Aust (1992) 156 (6)].
* 1% of deaths for 1986 were examined in the U.S. Quantity and frequency of alcohol consumption was obtained from each descendant's next of kin. The percentage of deceased with cirrhosis increased sharply with increasing number of drinks per day. An intake of three alcoholic drinks per day was associated with a significantly higher percentage of cirrhosis deaths compared with lifetime abstainers. [Parrish K et al, J Stud Alcohol (1993) 54(4)].
* 156 papers were reviewed assessing the relation of individual alcohol consumption to risk of physical damage. Evidence was found for a dose-response relationship between alcohol consumption and risk of liver damage. At levels of more than 20-30 grams alcohol/day, all individuals are likely to accumulate risk of harm. [P.Anderson et al. Addiction (1993) 88(11)].
* In a consecutive autopsy series of 210 Finnish males, the effects of long-term moderate alcohol consumption on the incidence of liver disease were observed. Below 40 gms of alcohol/day no significant increase in the features of liver disease were apparent. Daily intake of between 40 - 80 gms/day increased the frequency of fatty liver and slight alcoholic hepatitis. The incidence of liver cirrhosis increased significantly when daily intake exceeded 80gms. [V.Savolainen et al. Alcohol Clin Exp Res (1993) 17 (5)].
* A Danish study measured the prevalence of abnormal liver-derived enzymes in a population sample of 905 men and women aged 30-50. 12% of the cohort was found to have raised levels of abnormal liver-derived enzymes associated with moderate (48gms/day) alcohol intake. With higher alcohol intake (>48gms/day) the odds ratio for raised liver enzymes increased further. [F. Steffensen et al. Int J Epidemiology (1997) 26(1)].
* In another Danish study, self-assessed alcohol intake was determined in a prospective cohort study of 13,285 men and women (aged 30-79 years). The diagnosis of alcohol-induced liver disease was observed. An estimated relative risk of developing liver disease was determined at an intake of 1 - 6 alcoholic beverages per week, with a steep increase in risk above this intake. Women were found to have a significantly higher relative risk of developing alcohol-related liver disease than men. At 7-13 alcoholic beverages per week for women, and 14-27 for men, the relative risk of developing liver disease was greater than one. [U.Becker et al. Hepatology (1996) 23(5)].
* An Italian cohort study looked at the prevalence of chronic liver disease. 6534 subjects aged 12-65 were fully examined, and their alcohol intake evaluated with a dietary questionnaire. The risk threshold for developing liver damage was found at ingestion of more than 30gms alcohol/day (both sexes). 21% of the study group were at risk, and 5.5% of this risk group (74 individuals) showed signs of liver damage. Alcoholic cirrhosis was diagnosed in 2.2% of the risk group (ratio men:women, 9:1) and non-cirrhotic liver disease in 3.3%. The authors concluded that in an open population the risk threshold for developing cirrhosis and non-cirrhotic liver damage is 30gms ethanol per day. This risk increases with increased daily intake. [S.Bellentani et al. Gut (1997) 41(6)].

On average, they consume a bottle of vodka a day, with some 30% of all male deaths in Russia alcohol related.

That’s likely too much. About 2X too much. See your MD, see what he sez. Listen to QtM and others here.

In the meantime, stay the fuck away from Tylenol, aka acetaminophen aka “paracetamol”, and anything that contains it, such as many cold medicines. Aspirin could be OK, or ibuprofen, etc. But not acetaminophen, combined with booze it can destroy your liver. *

• of course it is almost always safe when taken as directed, but “as directed” does not include anyone drinking that much alcohol.

I like the way you make your stats !

And that is a reliable reference. Googling ‘russia alcohol consumption’ or ‘russia alcohol statistics’ gives me lot of websites with the figure of 15 L a year per person. That is 50 bottles of vodka per year. And as a matter of fact, this is as much as the French consumption according to these stats.

Conclusion: average stats over one country don’t mean very much.

It’s probably more than is healthy. But I’ll bet it’s not as bad as smoking a pack a day.

Four drinks a day is a moderately unhealthy lifestyle choice, as is failing to get regular exercise, eating a lousy diet, or being 15 pounds overweight. It’s not optimal, but it’s not going to put you in the top 1% of unhealthy people.