Is a full-scale, successful invasion of the rest of the world by the US possible?

Given that the population of the U.S. is, what, 300,000,000 or so, and there are maybe six billion peolpe in the world, trying to take on the rest of the world would be giving away – in person-on-person terms – odds of 20:1. Add in the terrain and logistical difficulties, insurrections, the (in)ability to occupy that much territory, guerilla actions, and economic upheaval, and I can’t see any way it would be even remotely possible.

To tell the truth, I don’t think we could take the whole of China.

RR

CyberPundit-

Yes, there is a danger that the plot would be figured out and nuclear retaliation would result. But, anyone deranged enough to do something like this might also arrange it so that a sizeable portion of our civilian population would not be vaccinated, thereby making it appear that we are also innocent victims of this plague.

I frighten myself writing this stuff, but I also have no illusions about the evil that man is capable of inflicting upon others. Yes, some well-financed dooms-day cult could concievably get their hands on this technology, and within the next 50 years it does seem possible.

And what the hell would we do with it once we have it?

IT HAS ALREADY BEGUN

depends on the parameters.

If unconventional weapons were intact? No way in hades. So therefore, as it stands now, we certainly couldnt do it.

If we were to try to take over countries piecemeal, including as much of their population and infrastructure as we could? Also, no way in heck. Too many suicide bombers and guerilla warface and such. We would have to resort to genocide (and this is also assuming the U.S. public would stand for that, but considering we’re assuming a declaration of war on the entire world, I dont think its that much more of a logical leap :))

On the other hand, a scenario in which we COULD assomplish this would be:

– no nukes
– U.S. public accepts and the armed forces carry out genocidal attacks.
– Same thing with regards to NON-NUCLEAR unconventional weapons, ESPECIALLY biological weapons. Now, we’re not talking disease agents. More like agent orange and such, to cut off the food supply.

So, I think that we could leverage our massive technological advantage and use our air superiority to conduct both conventional attacks on the populace and attacks on the food supply. Then, when we had sufficient infantry in reserve, we could “mop up” the rest in a given area. Remember, this after massive defoliation.

On the other hand, if we engaged in this, could you really still call us “America”?

Probably not, considering that a couple thousand nukes from russia, china, france, U.K, etc would have reduced everything to radioactive waste, coast to coast.