Is a thread discussing the most cost-effective way to donate to a political cause allowed?

Obeying the rules and mod instructions are important. Beyond that, I had to search the archives to figure out why avoiding calls for actions etc were important to the board.

On 7/10/22 Ed rescinded the ban on calls for action, while maintaining guidelines against advocacy of harassment, violence or lawbreaking.

Lawsuits are one overriding concern of the board. Two others were listed in that thread:

Ordinary political advocacy is fine. What we’re trying to avoid is people using the board to cook up mischief. A rule against harassment may be sufficient. We’re giving it some more thought.

Financial appeals have always required prior approval, for fear of scams. We usually grant it.

I opine that something like this should be acceptable: “Those who care about X, should favor charity Y over charity Z for these reasons.”

I’m wondering about this: “The fate of the world is at stake. Everyone should care about [[my issue]]. So dig deep, dig hard, suspend intellect, and respond generously to emotional appeals. Just 25 cents a minute can make a huge difference for round-eyed puppies.”

In light of fear of scams, this one seems problematic without clear disclaimers.

Want to support the environment? Here’s a list of great charities I found online:
Sierra Club
National Resources Defense Council
LineMyPockets. com
League of Conservation Voters
Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility
Wikipedia Foundation

That said, presumably one goal of the OP would be to identify dubious political organizations, which definitely exist. It would be odd to prohibit this sort of discussion in the off chance that ill conceived posts could inadvertently prop inefficient organizations.