Is a young person's credit related to their parent's credit?

Pardon me. After posting I realize you were talking about the collection agency.

All my credit is related to me alone. My credit card limit is based on the fact that I always pay back in full so they keep putting it up in the hope I’ll eventually have to start paying them some interest.

My overdraft facility is based on being a medical student, and my bank has already made noises about 100% mortgages when I graduate. Again, that’s because they know that as a doctor you have a guaranteed income, and will pay them back.
Your problem is more like an identity mix-up than anything else. The social security numbers should clinch it.

Eeek, nearly the same exact prob. my husband has had (same address, and nearly same name - they aren’t Sr/Jr, but their names only differ by middle name). Right up all three credit reporting bureaus and the company that has the neg. ding on your report. It might take you a month or three but it should clear up. Good luck on your endeavor!

Err, “write” them up. I blame the keyboard gnomes. They made me type a homophone.

Contact the CRAs and clearly indicate that you are mixed with your father, and of course indicate that the collection account is not yours… If they fail to receive the SSN back from the creditor, they will remove the tradeline.

They key is to properly identify yourself, and make specific reference to being a victim of a mixed/confused file.