[QUOTE=Geobabe]
Not drinking “fixes” the problem of the physical addiction to alcohol, but does absolutely nothing for the mental illness. As I’ve said several times already, AA is therapy, it’s not a cure; it’s intended to address the mental and behavioral aspects of the addiction. There are those people who can simply stop drinking and never have any more problems, but for those for whom that isn’t the case, they need something more than just quitting cold turkey.
[/QUOTE]
I would agree with the above. My MIL is a dry drunk–she hasn’t touched a drop in over 10 years, but she still has all the mental health issues that she had prior to AA. Basically, she’s a controlling, narcissistic, manipulative bitch who never outgrew adolescence, but I digress.
I see value in AA (I’ve known a few people who really get their lives straightened out by it), but I wonder about the psychological aspects of addiction and alcoholism. It seems to me (and I’ve never been to AA or Alanon, so I may be completely wrong) that AA gets you sober and functional, but any other personal growth is up to you.
I also have an issue with the whole addiction “curve”. Where is the tipping point from bad habit to addiction? When does the physiological addiction kick in? How come many, many people prevent themselves from becoming addicted? Is it only brain chemistry or are there behavioral/learned respsonses at play as well? Those are questions I’m interested in.