[QUOTE=Evil Joe]
That is like you can be a Catholic and go to church every Sunday, get all the sacraments, get comfort and friendship from the priests and parishioners but take or leave the whole Jesus and God part. Its possible yes, but it doesn’t make any sense.
[/QUOTE]
You know, Valteron, don’t you? The militant, rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth atheist? Surely you have read my other threads? I know you have because you have participated in them.
I have been an atheist AA member for 16 years. In every meeting, we clearly say that the 12 steps are “suggestions”. There are several other members who are declared atheists. None of us has ever felt the slightest pressure to believe in God.
I have never met a single member who interprets the steps in the same way.
So what do I do with a step such as : “Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood him?” I hear you ask?
To me, that means that I meditate (not pray) daily, and that that gets me outside my own self, away from what AAs call “the tyranny of self” into a “realm” of greater awareness that I am part of the whole world and the universe, that there are millions of kind human beings out there who can help me and that I can help. That I am part of a wonderful human race that for all its faults is loveable. I meditate that the more I let myself sink into myself and my own needs and desires, the more miserable I will be. The more I can practice humility and take myself beyond my own selfish desires, the happier I will be.
If that sounds a lot like Buddhism, it is because I often use the sayings of Buddha as a starting point for my meditation. (Buddhism is NOT a religion, and I don’t care what anybosy says). I also make a lot of use of the Meditations of Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius (who was not a Christian and may have been an agnostic) and his teacher, the Roman Philospher Epictetus, also an agnostic.
Your analogy with Catholicism does not really work, because nobody would tell a Catholic that belief in Jesus Christ is just a suggestion thhat they can disregard and still be a Catholic.