Is Alice's Restaurant a tradition for your Thanksgiving?

Despite not growing up with it (I never heard the song until I was in college) I now try to find it every year. This year I watched the YouTube version, illustrated in MSPaint. How about you?

It’s a Thanksgiving tradition that can’t be beat, and I never miss it. I can’t be the only one that listens to it every year, so here’s a simple poll.

If you haven’t heard it before, you’re missing out. Happy Thanksgiving, everybody.

Alice’s Restaurant

23 minutes, +/-.

Aside from the fact that I’m sitting next to you while you’re listening to it, it’s FIVE-part harmony. Just thought you’d want to know.

Let’s see how long it takes the mods to merge our threads. I beat you by two minutes!

Yeah, the poll killed me. Let’s just say that great minds think alike.

I thought about it.

So two people did it?

You know what we’re thinking.

Playing now, in the kitchen, where the older daughter and her boyfriend have taken over the mashed potatoes and gravy detail.
(New this year, to replace the traditional mocking of the gravy I make. New boyfriend, too.)

Yeah, but if 50 – FIFTY – people do it…

I said no, thinking I have probably heard it at some point on the radio not knowing what it was. I just went to listen to it on Youtube and I’ve never heard this song in my life, so change my vote to never heard it.

I tried to listen to it when I heard about it last year (or the year before), but it wasn’t my cup of tea.

Getting ready to listen to it now, thanks for reminding me!!

I had never listened to it all the way through before, but I watched the illustrated Youtube video mentioned in the OP of the other thread, and it was absolutely hilarious. My parents said you had to have been around during the Vietnam War draft to really understand it, but it made enough sense to me.

I like the song, but never liked the movie version.

Never heard of the tradition, but it sounds like a good one. I think I’ll make a suggestion at the neighborhood shindig I’m going to to later today. I’m sure the folks there will buy in.

For what it’s worth, we actually live pretty close to this Alice’s Restaurant. It’s funky enough to be the real thing, even though it isn’t, and it always made a nice pit stop when we were out on our bikes doing some serious hill climbing. (Bicycle, not motorbike as in the pictures.)

I voted that I have never heard it, but I don’t know what the stuff about killing has to do with it… I have no emotional feelings about it one way or the other. I’ve heard of it, but don’t even know who did it.

I certainly remember it from the good ole days, but I’ve never heard of a Thanksgiving tradition. Why didn’t I get the memo?

Listening to it right now.

The story takes place on Thanksgiving. As a result, there are a ton of radio stations that play it on Thanksgiving and have for years.

That’s what makes the song funny. It’s an old protest song by Arlo Guthrie.