Is anyone else enjoying My Chemical Romance as much as I am?

My husband bought Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge for me, and I am totally digging it. Honestly, this band is great. In my book, they could do no wrong after I’m Not OK (I Promise). Then I heard Helena and knew I had to have their CD. And, after mentioning it to my husband in passing, it came in the mail a few days ago (He’s such a great guy; I’m so lucky).

I like every single song on this CD. That’s a rarity.

Is anyone else listening to this CD?

The Chymical Wedding of Christian Rosenkreutz?

No?

Sorry then. No, I haven’t. This is not the post you are looking for.

No, not really. I wince whenever I hear that one of their songs is going to be on the radio… They’re not bad, but I’d rather listen to other groups.

I really, really didn’t want to like them.

I can’t help myself, though.

It looks as though they’re part of the Vans Warped Tour, which will be in my neck of the woods in August. The thought of being outdoors, in August, with a huge crowd of people is less than appealing, however.

It’s a shame, too, because I’d like to see what kind of show they put on live. Plus Atreyu, The Offspring (they’re kind of fun), Bleeding Through, Skindred and a whole bunch of other bands will be there. Oy, but the heat!

I’m at work so I can’t really check out any of their music for myself, but I’ve seen/heard a lot about them. Can somebody tell me what they sound like? Are they techno? That’s what I thought of when I heard their name. Rock? Punk? What bands do they sound like?

That’s just it; they’re quite versatile. They’re hard rock cum emo cum punk-ish cum metal-esque (OK, that one’s a bit of a stretch, but there is at least one track that fits that description), depending on what track you’re listening to.

I went to the Vans Warped Tours in 1997 and 1998, when the skew was a lot more toward traditional punk and ska, with some psychobilly and even swing mixed in. Those shows are where I saw Reverend Horton Heat, Rancid, the Descendents, Reel Big Fish, the Pietasters, Royal Crown Revue, Save Ferris, the Aquabats, Less Than Jake, the Specials, Bad Religion, NOFX, Mad Caddies, and more great bands. Those were two great, unforgettable days, even in the South Florida summer heat. But musical tastes and styles have changed, and the kinds of bands they book now don’t appeal to me nearly as much. It all seems to be nasally Blink 182-style “mallpunk,” or really heavy hardcore and “screamo” stuff that hurts me to listen to.

I like heavy and hardcore a lot, but not nearly enough to endure several hours of Mid-Atlantic August temperatures.

Yep–it’s like musical crack or something! “I’m not okay” was enough to get me to buy the CD, and I don’t buy CDs very often (not nearly as much as I want to). It’s a little weird, but I’ve listened to it over and over and over. I just got “Guero,” so I’ve been listening to that a lot, but “My Chemical Romance” is still one of my current faves.

audiobottle, you can check them out at www.mychemicalromance.com. I think they have a couple of songs on the website. It’s good stuff!

Maybe I’ll pick up one of their CDs today. Any suggestions as to which album I should start off on?

I don’t have the first one, so I can’t comment. I do have plans to buy it once I wean myself off this one.

Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is the only one I have. I’d recommend it (obviously). I think it’s consistently good–so many CDs have just one or two good songs, but I like almost all of the songs on this one. I haven’t heard anything off the first CD yet.

Ahh you’re making me reminesce when I went in '99. The Suicide Machines decided to cancel at the last minute because it was raining hard. Didn’t stop any of the other bands, though. Save Ferris was appreciative of us, saying “You guys are the most punk FUCKING rock city we’ve ever played at.” (Hell, she probably said that to every city, though). Good times, good times.

Anyway, back on track. I really didn’t pay MCR much attention, until my girlfriend read an article in Spin about them. Turns out the lead singer was way into comics, and apparently threw in a few references to Sandman and Preacher (according to my girlfriend). Preacher being one of my favorite comic series, I decided to perk my ears up to them. My opinion is still undecided…but if anybody can tell me where the Preacher reference is (or maybe I misheard or she misread and they were just inspired by the comic or something…), I’d be glad to hear it.

Sorry, can’t help you there. I don’t read comics, and, while my husband does, I’m pretty sure he doesn’t read those titles. I’ll check with him later this morning just to be sure.