Is anyone else following this bizarre Jason Arday story out of Cambridge University?

There was a recent article in the Atlantic about a Black tenure-track professor who suspected he was a DEI hire after he became continually tokenized and pressured to take on DEI roles that he felt had nothing to do with his job. He ultimately left academia altogether.

I don’t know if this is a common problem, but assuming he’s telling the truth, that faculty was fuckin’ bonkers.

Gift link: Confessions of a Token Black Professor - The Atlantic

He was particularly upset with the anti-union, anti-workers rights position of the school that espoused progressive values. And noted that when Trump started to crack down on DEI in universities, the faculty unanimously voted to halt DEI activities. Clearly they didn’t hold too tightly to those values.

Sounds like this professor blew the whistle, and faced retaliation.

And the plot takes a lethal turn:

Jason Arday claims he’s still alive.

I assume this is a joke? It’s not a bad one, but I am trying to get the news here.

I think it’s a joke: SkyNews is reporting the death.

Thanks. How sad.

And the BBC

Nice excuse, except there doesn’t seem to be good evidence that people with autism are any more prone to plagiarism then non-autistics.

Stay tuned for abundant finger-pointing and recriminations as a result of Arday’s death. A Cambridge-sponsored fundraiser for his family would be appropriate.

That’s not exactly their strong suit:

Habitual liar lies about why he lied is par for the course.

If this is ruled a suicide, which seems likely to me, then this may sound a little harsh, but I don’t have much sympathy for this guy. He never took ownership of his lies, blaming any criticism of him as racially motivated. Then, when he suffered the repercussions of his lies, he doesn’t apologize, doesn’t work to improve himself, doesn’t pick himself up and admit his shortcomings, but instead kills himself, leaving behind an undoubtedly grieving family. That is someone who has refused to accept responsibility to the very end.

The Guardian reports: “… his death is being treated as unexpected, but is not believed to be suspicious. …police are understood not to believe anyone else was involved in the death.”

This seems desperately sad to me. So unnecessary.

I can see your POV, but depression can be a dangerous thing to have. If he had won this bout and survived, who knows? He might have learned something. The problem is that suicidal ideation can happen as instantly as flicking on a light switch, and can kill you before you have a chance to think anything through.

If this was in fact suicide, I’d be shocked if it were his first depressive episode.

I really feel for his family.

Couldn’t it be that he did accept responsibility, at the very end?

How do we know he was suffering from depression?

that’s not the way I see it, but I will concede that maybe others could interpret it that way. I see it as someone taking the tragic, but still cowardly step of refusing to deal with issues that he created for himself.

Because all signs point to suicide, and suicide is almost always the result of depression.

The fact that he was successful at killing himself also suggests he’s been thinking about it for a while.

That’s assuming he killed himself, which has not been confirmed. I’m just going with what looks most likely.

I felt that way when Epstein killed himself, but this guy only plagierized and made some stuff up. I do feel sympathy that these relatively minor transgressions would carry a death sentence. He could have worked this stuff out over time. But when you’re suicidal you don’t really see any other option.

Most suicide is a result of depression, but I don’t think this one was. This is a result of the fact that his life really was unraveling, and very quickly. Granted, it’s his own fault that his life was unraveling, and granted, he could have found a new course for his life somewhere other than academia. But I think it’s still enough to explain a suicide, even without depression.