…the British press are a cancer. There are people running around doing things a hundred times worse than what this guy did, but they leave them alone. JK Rowling is running and funding literal hate campaigns, but they go after this guy.
I’m seeing the same thing from multiple reliable sources, so it must be true. I hope so anyway.
This is Twilight Zone weird now.
And sad.
This guy is/was another George Santos, or whatever his real name is. Are we even sure he was a real person to begin with?
I didn’t expect this to be so (potentially, pending confirmation) prescient.
WTH?
Sentiment on Twitter in response to Arday’s death is running about 40% “this is so sad”, 30% “we must stamp out DEI from our culture” and 30% “the right-wing media hounded him into it”.
It’s wonderful to see such balance. ![]()
Moderating:
This verges dangerously close to our rule against wishing death on someone. Please refrain from making comments like this.
Oops, that’s not what I meant at all. I meant “I hope this wasn’t a false report, because that’s a really terrible thing to do to somebody.”
I meant that I hope the report wasn’t false, because retracting something like this is a big deal, to say the least.
Okay. I’ll leave the note, though, because your meaning was far from clear. Thanks for clarifying.
I agree with your last sentence, but no so much your first.
I don’t see anything in your post that isn’t consistent with depression. You’re describing severe feelings of hopelessness and strong guilt. As you say, he could have found a new course for his life, but he jumps to assuming it’s all over. It sure sounds like he is overwhelmed with extreme sadness and a sudden belief that life is no longer worth living, rather than making a calculated decision based on quality of life or trying to avoid an actual worse fate (e.g. killing yourself to avoid being tortured).
It’s all consistent with a major depressive episode. Someone lacking the support beneath himself to not bottom out with extreme grief.
It doesn’t have to be, but I don’t think we have any evidence that it wasn’t.
He was still three stages away from it.
Lots of people survive being caught out in fraud. I’m on team, “sounds like a major depressive event”.
I haven’t followed this guy, but I’m salty about the plagiarism charges against both MLK jr and Claudine Gay.
He was a politician, making speeches. Political speeches aren’t supposed to be “original”, they are supposed to be moving, and ideally, heart-felt. Lots of successful politicians hire writers. As for Gay, a lot of the examples were weak. And the strongest was … The acknowledgement page. Again, that’s not the part of “academic writing” that’s supposed to be original. That’s supposed to be sincere. I’ve plagiarized a friend who wrote a nice condolence note to me ever since reading it. There are places in life where originality is important, and places where it really isn’t. So she heard a nice turn of phrase and forgot that she’d heard it. Someone with an axe to grind went over her writing with a fine tooth comb looking for anything they could attack her with.
Doubtful in this case. He was a bullshit artist, and everything finally caught up with him. Am assuming he felt his professional life was tainted forever, and simply decided to end it.
The complaint isn’t about MLK’s speeches, but about his doctoral thesis.
Yeah, I mean I guess it comes down to the semantics of what is depression. Sufficed to say he was probably feeling really bad.
He was feeling bad, am guessing, because he was caught.
But isn’t that the entire question? I’m not interested in what tall tales he tells around the pub. I want to know why somebody didn’t check his background before giving him such a prestigious appointment. I’m not even all that concerned with him. I think the key is strengthening hiring standards and procedures for the institution.
And if, in fact, the crux of his thesis was plagiarized, that also requires review. Not of his graduation, but of thesis reviews in general. Filbert’s summation is really disappointing, though not surprising. I have edited a few Masters theses for friends, and was frankly shocked to hear they were successful.
But the initial intent of this whole folderol deserves pushback. And I’m not sure how to do it without discrediting the entire academic process. Because they way would be to say something much like what Filbert said above. It’s just not that unusual, and the same could be said of hundred white professors.
Didn’t Suzy Izzard do something similar?