Is Carhartt Being Sexist (and other clothing manufacturers)

Women’s hips are seldom narrower than their shoulders. If an item slides comfortable over the hips, it can slide right off the shoulders but still pull too tightly across the chest.

Pants large enough to fit over a woman’s hips aren’t large enough in the right places. They pull over the butt and bunch in the crotch and still never have room for the lower rounded belly.

Sleeves and legs are typically too long, being proportioned the men’s slimmer hips and flatter chests.

Men’s/boys’ work boots do fit women just fine, sometime better than women’s because they are wider and have rounded toes. In my experience women’s work boots are as tough as men’s though, so there is no net gain, just more choice for women with wide feet.

Thanks for the advice, but I’ve already tried that. I often prefer both the style and color of clothing marketed to men, and when shopping regularly fetch things from the men’s department to try on. Some of it I wind up buying (I got a men’s Henley just the other day), but very often I don’t, because it usually doesn’t fit. While I would love it if more men’s clothing fit me even reasonably well, this is not the case.

I’ve been buying my own clothes for decades, I wasn’t buying “pink glittery garbage” even as a teenager, and have always been particular about not buying pants that don’t have decent-sized pockets. And you know what? The clothing manufacturers haven’t responded, because they don’t give a damn what I want. You may be sick of hearing how men have it so great when it comes to clothing, but I’m sick of actually not having it great and would gladly trade my problem for yours.

Wow. Me too. I HATE pink with the fire of 1,000 suns.

My hips are narrower than my shoulders. It’s probably one of the reasons I had to have a c-section. Anyway, before I had a baby, I used to be able to buy pants in the boys’ section. Pockets, glorious pockets! My gawd, do boys’ pants have pockets!

I still buy my pants in the men’s section. I usually have to wear them with a belt, but they still fit me better than the pants in the women’s section.

I can’t wear dresses either. If I want a dress for some reason, I have to go to a very high end store where alterations are included. Otherwise, I stick to skirts and tops.

I was talking about jackets and shirts there. Even flight jackets don’t fit quite right.

Carhart’s client base is about 90% male. They are, by and large, a manufacturer of blue-collar work clothes.

Which stands to reason when we all know that 90% of the outdoor blue-collar work, like construction, farming, ranching, labor, landscaping, county and state road work, et al…is comprised of men.

And since Carhart does just fine thank you with their business and their brand-loyal customer base of vastly predominant males, it stands to reason that they simply don’t feel a need to offer their goods in feminine color schemes. The added sales by doing this–if indeed there were any–would certainly be off-set by the danger of them losing their long-held image. Which has, again, served them very well to date.

It’s pretty much the old adage of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” all over again.

Hope this helps.