Is Chuck Norris really all that good a martial artist?

So’s my cat. :smiley:

Fighting, stage fighting, and actual acting are three very different skills. Lots of people can fight but can’t make it look good, or can make it look good but can’t actually win a fight, and even those who can do both may not be able to convincingly deliver a line of dialogue.

One of the (many) things that’s impressive about Bruce Lee is that not only could he fight, but he always looked damn good doing it.

He kicks ass for the Lord!

And not just any Lord, but the two-fisted, fightin’ Jesus!

In their prime, I’d say Norris would win…basically, he outweighed Lee by well over 30lbs back then and was still very very fast.

I’m not sure why, but I think that’s the funniest thing currently on television. I laugh my ass off every time.

Cite?

I’ve heard Chuck Norris on the Howard Stern show several times and the subject of Bruce Lee always comes up. Chuck invariably claims that Bruce refused to fight him and Howard always gets him to modestly admit that he thinks he could have beaten Lee at any given time in their lives.

I’m sorry, but there is no debate to be had there, because Chuck Norris is not anywhere near as bad an actor as Steven Seagal. Norris does not ooze even one hundredth the suckitude of Seagal. Compared to Seagal, Chuck Norris looks like Russell Crowe.

(Responding to Cisco’s: “cite?”)

There is an apocryphal quote often cited in the Lee vs. Norris debate. Supposedly, during a promotional appearence in Hong Kong for The Way of the Dragon (AKA Return of the Dragon), Norris said “We are not good enough to be his students, and he is too good to be our teacher.” “We” being Norris and friend/fellow actor Bob Wall and “he” being Lee. If he ever really said that, IMO he did it for promotional purposes to that specific audience.

Say what!?!
the Middleweight Karate Championship was no contact? Not the ones I saw.

My old Karate Sensei actually fought chuck in a Karate Championship. Forget what year or where though. Anyway, he has a picture of both himself and Chuck frozen in mid-kick and it’s autographed by Chuck himself.

My sensei lost though :slight_smile:

From his own Website

I’m sorry, but there is no debate to be had there, because Chuck Norris is not anywhere near as bad an actor as Steven Seagal. Norris does not ooze even one hundredth the suckitude of Seagal. Compared to Seagal, Chuck Norris looks like Russell Crowe.

Posted by Rick Jay

I second that. As a side note, I really enjoyed it when Chuck Norris played himself on “Yes Dear”…He kept calling Jimmy (perhaps the most neglectful father since Homer Simpson) for parenting advice…funny episode.

In “Lone Wolf McQuade” Norris Fights David Carradine.

And the WHOOSH goes through the windmills of your mind.

:smiley:

Though I bet Tommy Lee could compete on one level.

There wasn’t exactly a “the” middleweight karate championship. There were dozens of tournaments, from dozens of different organizations.

But full-contact didn’t get started until the PKA back in the 70s. Norris co-sponsored a league of full-contact karate fights, but did not compete in them.

Norris was really good, but it was all point karate. Note that his book, “Winning Tournament Karate”, refers only to tournaments under the point system.

Don’t confuse what there is now with what there was in 1968. I remember watching the first full contact “world championships”. Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, Jeff Smith, and I can’t recall the other winner - nary a Norris among them.

Regards,
Shodan

I’d love to see the two old farts beatin the hell outta each other right now. How old would they both be?
Did somebody really ask whether or not Norris was a good fighter at one time. How else did they think he made it into acting, on his talent?
This question reminds me of Arnold for some reason. One of these days, when he is POTUS some kid’ll ask whether or not he was a good actor before he got into politics…or was he really a good bodybuilder before he started acting?
:wink:

just yankin your chain a little bit A/M

Hey Mockingbird wha’sup…

Thanks! Shodan, for giving the front snap-kick to my ignorance.

I didn’t realize that full-contact started that recently.

No. Could you fill me in?

Conan installed a large lever next to his desk, and when he pulls it, it activates (via the guys in the control booth) a short clip from “Walker: Texas Ranger.”

I know that doesn’t sound too funny, but it actually is. First of all, the incredibly bad acting and the awful plot devices in “Walker” are funny all by themselves. Also, the fact that the clips are taken out of context makes them seem even stranger. Finally, Conan sometimes pulls the lever at random times, and the look on his face as he does this is priceless.

Having just read my own description, though, it seems like it might be something that you can’t really appreciate without seeing it first-hand.