Is Evolution Really Science-Based?

I’m asking because I came across this statement:

The spontaneous creation of new genetic information required for Darwinian evolution has not been observed, and is therefore not scientifically credible.

Can anyone confirm or disprove the statement? Is the logic correct?

It’s basically from this article link:

Observed in what way? Certainly evolution happens, it’s just not observable in real time.
Reported for forum change.

Looked at the link. What they claim is subject to providing proof. Which they can’t and won’t do.
It just comes down to “God did it”.

Pretty fast in a test tube:

These studies use RNA, which is form of genetic material used as a carrier of genetic info from the DNA to the protein making machinery. It is a copy of an individual gene, to be expressed by the cell.

It is believed that RNA came first as the genetic material and DNA evolved later.

That’s microscopic. The crackpots won’t accept something they can’t see/understand. I was think more of seeing a change in a puppy compared to the parents and using that as proof.

Oh, I do understand! However, on the off chance this poster is really looking for answers, it’s pretty amazing that it can be seen almost in front of your eyes!

Welcome to the SDMB, Phil_CostaMesa.

We have different forums for different kinds of discussions; I’ve move this to Great Debates (from ATMB) for you.

twickster, for the SDMB

Never forget to check Talkorigins.org OP.

This is incorrect, there are numerous observed examples of genetic mutations that added information.

To answer the subject question, yes, evolution is “science-based”. Creationism, on the other hand, is not science (or science-based) in the least.

Join date September 2013, why do people constantly acknowledge these obvious drive bys?

First, it’s usually very easy, and second, some of us believe that it’s important to challenge misinformation. Also, some of us enjoy it :slight_smile:

Phil_CostaMesa, of course evolution is science based. Another poster beat me to it, but yes, spend time talking to real scientists at talkorigins, and not getting your information from pseudo-scientists and theologians, then you’ll find out why evolution is testable and falsifiable and has all the ingredients of what any good scientific theory would have.

Have you spent any time at all on the site you gave us? Paul Taylor is a full blown creationist, who takes a literal account of Genesis, complete with the days meaning 24 hour periods. I’d agree with him that is the way I read it as well, only major difference being, I don’t believe it, but evidently he does. Do you?

Yeah, just looking at the title, I guessed this thread was going to be a newbie without even opening it.

I’m sure a website called creationtoday.org would not put out unbiased information or have its own agenda. Would they?

I just wanted to post a ‘Thank You’ to those who recommended the ‘talkorigins’ site. For me, it’s very helpful.

Phil, I’m glad you’re interested. Science can be fun (or a total bore) and theology can be fun (or a total bore). The key is to keep them separated because they don’t have much in common, and remember that many people who believe that evolution is science-based are also good Christians, so you don’t need to leave your beliefs at the door. Keep having learning because you will soon realize that God’s Creation is more magnificent–and bizarre–than you ever imagined. It can leave you gasping. Or, sometimes, snoozing.

And there isn’t actually much need for “new genetic information.” Most of what we’ve been doing since we learned to process oxygen has been just reshuffling, duplication of existing genes and changes in relative growth rates of body parts.

I’m sure creationism itself has a really bad handle on its own definition of what ‘information’ means and how it works, but aren’t you really talking something analogous to the alphabet/vocabulary of genetic information.

Whereas the specific pattern in which that basic information is shuffled/arranged/expressed could probably also legitimately be called ‘information’ - because it has different results depending on how it is done, and can be done with some measure of consistency.

ETA: none of the above, of course, implies that ‘new information’ can’t be created by evolution.

This seems to be a relatively new argument from the creationist camp, and I’ve seen it all over the place lately. It’s kind of bizarre, because it’s even more divorced from reality than their other arguments. I mean, just about all of their claims are based on strawmen and misrepresentation and twisting of facts, but this one is just a blatant lie, like saying that the sky has never ever been observed to be blue. Any good college biology textbook will list a good dozen or so well understood, fully documented methods by which the amount of genetic “information” (and, yes, I agree that that term is very carefully never actually defined) can and does increase in an organism.

In further answer to the OP, of course the theory of evolution is science based (evolution itself is a natural phenomenon that vastly predates the human development of science). Moreover, there’s no great debate about this among scientists or people who specialize in the theory of evolution.

Examples of areas of theory or study that could be science based but debatably aren’t, or debatably vary, would include psychic phenomena and UFOs.