Is "Fenian" a banned word in the U.K.?

Yes.

If you’re Norn Irish it’s FEE-nyun, if you’re Southern Irish it’s FEE-nee-an.
Short pronunciation guide for political parties with Irish names:

Sinn Fein- Shin FAYN
Fianna Fail- FEE-na Foil
Fine Gael- FIN-ah Gayle

If you’re in Glasgow and you use the word “fenian” in the wrong part of town, you’ll v. quickly find yourself in a world of trouble. :frowning:

A colleage at work is a regular at Old Firm games - he said the first time he was faced with 50,000 assorted Ranger’s fans screaming about killing “fenian scum”, it was a bit off-putting.

One of the popular Rangers’ chants is:

Hullo! Hullo!
We are the Billy Boys!
Hullo! Hullo!
You’ll know us by our noise!
We’re up to our knees in Fenian blood,
Surrender or you’ll die!
For we are the Bridgeton Billy Boys.

Several government agencies tried to ban sectarian terms in their Scottish offices…

I imagine “fenian” would also be frowned upon.

(Home | The Scotsman)

Report on attitudes to “fenian” in Glasgow - quite interesting reading.

http://tinyurl.com/qc4nv

snertle

Right, thanks to an earlier post I get “Tim”, and I knew about “proddy”. But doesn’t “Hun” mean a German, of the WWI period? what’s the sectarian connexion? and what’s wrong with sinister preference pedal locomotion?

“Tim”?

Fascinating…how “fighting words” are so culturally dependent. Absolutely no reaction here, where we’re devoid of the context.

Rangers fans, or Protestants in general, are called huns. I’m not entirely sure, but I think it’s implying that they’re Anglo-Saxons, and not Celts, as Irish Catholics would be.

As for left-footed, I have no idea.

FWIW, this is localised to Scotland, and the majority of the problem is in one city, Glasgow. Calling someone a ‘Tim’ in Manchester, England, for instance, would be seen as strange and not at all offensive.

A “left footer” is a Catholic. Something about Catholics using their left foot to push down the shovel when they dig.

Is this not something as bizarre as what foot a field worker would use back in ye olde days in Ireland? Using either his left (Catholic, or maybe Protestant, not sure) or his right (vice-versa) to force the spade into the sod?

No source for this, just something that’s kinda lurking…

I’m one step behind…

Bah. Catholic, Protestant, you’re all big-enders!

Which foot did you take the step with?

What the heck is ‘Tim’ about? Something about St. Timothy?

The correct one, of course… :wink:

When you understand the above, laugh at this :smiley:

The rivalry.

Read the comments for this video.

The foot thing is whether you kick a ball with your left or right foot- i.e. whether you play soccer and rugby or Gaelic games. Or something like that.

Ah, I wonder if that’s it.

Certainly I’ve heard the “left foot” thing, but have never understood it. Nor do I understand the “hun” one. Big mystery. Perhaps I should be thrown out of Glasgow. :eek: