Is going to a Big Name school worth it?

Enginerd said it best with

College lasts for four years-roundabouts- but thats four years of college-time. Which equals about 8-10 years of normal time. If you don’t pick a college that you like, you’re going to be truly miserable.

However, even if it is just name recognition(and I don’t fully buy that- that name recognition doesn’t just come from no where) there are advantages to going to a really well known and good college. I still wouldn’t recommend Harvard or Yale to anyone though. Personally, though this is just me, I feel much safer going to a college that focuses on undergraduates, rather than one of the larger universities which tends to put more emphasis on graduate programs.

In other words, smalll liberal arts colleges are probably your best bet as far as combining a high quality education with enough name recognition to get you where you want to go.

Assboink Community College Undergrad: “I’m sure glad I’m studying here instead of at a big-name university. All the professors there only care about graduate students. Here I’m assured of a fine undergraduate education.”

University of Michigan Undergrad: “I’m sure glad I’m studying here instead of at an Ivy League university. All the professors there only care about graduate students. Here I’m assured of a fine undergraduate education.”

Cornell Undergrad: “I’m sure glad I’m studying here instead of at Harvard, Princeton, or Yale. All the professors there only care about graduate students. Here I’m assured of a fine undergraduate education.”

Princeton Undergrad: “I’m sure glad I’m studying here instead of at Harvard or Yale. All the professors there only care about graduate students. Here I’m assured of a fine undergraduate education.”

Yale Undergrad: “I’m sure glad I’m studying here instead of at Harvard. All the professors there only care about graduate students. Here I’m assured of a fine undergraduate education.”

Harvard Undergrad: {Insert Joke Here}