Is Hillary Clinton being criminally investigated?

Just read summaries of the IG report. Clinton was the only one with a private server. Powell was the only one who didn’t turn over all his emails(Besides Clinton). Rice’s staff(and Powell himself) did receive some classified info via private email, as well as Clinton.

The main issue with Clinton is the evasion of the Federal Records Act. Well, there’s also the fact that her lawyer, despite no security clearance, got to see all her emails, which is why she insists nothing was classified at the time.

Where do you get this information that those types of info are automatically classified? You are so sure that type of information is automatically classified, you must have read about it somewhere in some sort of official government document. Which one was it?

Yep, she failed to print out and file her emails when she left the office. OH THE HORROR!

Not from government documents, but from news reports like this one:

So nothing, is what you have. Appeal to authority maybe at the most.

I suggest you stop repeating false information in General Questions.

The Reuters report is false? That should be pretty easy for you to prove. Besides, I’d love to know that the US government has laxer security standards than private companies. That would just be so much fun to throw in my liberal friends’ faces.

Also, if it’s that easy, if “markings” are such an easy defense, then why didn’t the FBI investigation take just one day? “Hey, did you have classified info on your private server?” “Nothing marked” “Oh, thank you then, we’ll wrap this up.”

A news article not knowing the exact inner workings of classification policy and procedures? No way!!!

Not sure where you got that the US government has laxer security standards. Things need to have a REASON to be classified, that are spelled out in the Executive Order and the derived classification guides, in order to avoid over-classifying information to withhold it from the public. Don’t you want transparency? Or would you rather everyone be able to slap a “Top Secret” sticker on whatever they want, to withhold it from public view?

Who knows why the FBI investigation is taking so long? Maybe the longer it takes, the longer they get to stay in New York getting per diem or whatever. Maybe they don’t want to wrap it up so quickly because people would just say “No way that could be a complete investigation! It only took one day! I read a news article that said FBI investigations MUST take 4 weeks minimum!”

Why don’t you go find a poorly sourced news article that explains the inner workings of the FBI investigative process?

Not sure about that, will you tell them that the right wing echo chamber missed that it is not so simple as Reuters assumed?

GIGO just unintentionally backed up my argument about some information being treated as classified automatically.

Again:

Remember, the claim included the bit about being in Clinton’s email. Point being that there was no marker then, not what Reuters was telling us.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/06/10/despite-clinton-claims-2012-email-had-classified-marking.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Yes it is a criminal investigation according to the White House, not sure if that specifically means her or just a general of all the staffers.

It appears so far they’ve been able to pull up a 2012 e-mail that was sent to her was marked classified, despite claims according to her that none were. I’m not a legal expert I’m not sure what if anything would be the consequences.

And that’s probably why there’s a long investigation. The issue is not crystal clear, as Politifact points out. If it was, this would already be over. Plus, news reports keep on saying intent matters, although I’ve never heard of the little guy receiving that kind of benefit of the doubt. Aren’t we little people told that ignorance of the law is no excuse?

And I have seen articles that point that the most likely punishment would be a revocation of security clearances. Not a criminal offense, but an internal matter. I remember in previous threads that backup companies and other issues were being investigated, but as it was also noted that the talking point that the number of investigators being increased was demonstrated to be incorrect, the delay may have just a very pedantic explanation.

Which would also doom her aspirations, although it would keep her out of jail. No one’s voting for a candidate who has been deemed unfit for a clearance.

Already replied to in the thread, the white house spokesman said “Any criminal investigation”

The straw grasping is happening in right wing sources of information.

Uh, FOX news was really weaseling there, “While he could not speak directly to the April 2012 email, he said, “I’ve seen information like that often.”” Unsupported and still and not even related to the email they point out.

I mentioned that only to humor you, in reality I think it is more likely that no indictment nor even that security clearance revocation is coming. Bottom line: it is clear to me that the procedures will be changed and it will be less likely that the Republicans will not check constantly , just as they promised to do with Trump for all the beheaded abuses even the Republicans admit he could do.

The point here is that so far there is only one potential deal breaker issue for Clinton while there are boatloads of issues with Trump.

Uh, run out of edit time, I meant to say boneheaded abuses that could come from Trump, but since he supports harsh torture beheaded may be appropriate.

Probably time to move this over to GD.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator