Is Hyundai really as reliable as Honda and Toyota

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4854302/

I am reading reports like this which say Hyundai has reached the top in regards to reliability ratings. I find this hard to believe for a few reasons.

1. Hyundai owns kia, which is a hellishly crappy car in regards to reliability. Its hard to believe the same compnay can make both some of the most and some of the least reliable cars imaginable.
  2. Hyundais used to have a reputation for being unreliable. Things may have changed but its hard to escape your past.
  3. The Hyundai is so inexpensive it just logically makes sense (might not be true though) that Hyundai cuts corners to save money on their cars. So cheaper parts get put in.
  4. These articles talk about problems in the first 90 days of new cars, they don’t refer to 10 year old cars with 110k miles on them. You can’t determine reliability based on how many problems a brand new car has in 3 months, reliability doesn’t kick in until you are pushing 100k miles.

However my older brother owns a Hyundai. Its an accent (i think), around 1999. He now has about 105k miles on it and says he hasn’t had any problems with it.

So what is the consensus if any on this subject? Would you trust a hyundai to get to 160k miles w/o any major problems? It is not unnatural for a toyota or Honda to reach this level of reliability.

No, the report is a blip. My brother has worked fairly closely with the South Koreans recently. They are after foreign investment. He is my source.

Without a doubt they do benchmark themselves against the Japanese, particularly Toyota. The “Reliable-Hyundai” was a big story in the commercial news over there a few months ago.

However a newer report from the reliability index has come out. It is an American one, I can’t remember the name. Hyundai has dropped back down. South Korean industries are not doing well lately. Interestingly, among cars it is Kia brand that is the most reliable of the Koreans. IT is a smaller brand, bought out by Hyundai. They don’t talk much about Kias to save face.

On afterthought, Hyundai was most or equally reliable to “Toyota branded cars.” not compared to Toyotas overall. Lexus, one of Toyotas divisions, was the most reliable brand overall.

They’re built like tanks now. The quality of materials and engineering in them isn’t as good as the Jap and Yank equivalents, but they’ve at least made every single component under-stressed enough that they don’t break anymore. They’re also not as complicated electronically as most of the competition - and this will really help with repair costs at higher mileages.

Anyway, I’d expect ANY car nowadays to last over 200,000 miles without major component replacement. There’s no excuse for flimsiness anywhere when the average subcompact weighs half a ton more than it used to.

In Greece Hyundais are sold with a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty. I guess that says all. Compare with just 2 years warranty for the “reliable” VW group cars

Mine is sure more reliable than most cars. It’s never had any problems.

theres a math lesson to be learned in this question: statistics.
Let’s compare it to taking a poll:
When you buy a car, you are buying ONE item out of the 4 million items that were produced this year by Honda, or Hyundai. Suppose somebody told you the Bush or Kerry will win the election, because he asked one person out of 4 million voters in Iowa. There is no reason to believe the the one person asked represents the typical voter, and there is no reason to believe that the one car you buy represents the typical Hyundai.

So there is no validity to saying “Honda is better because I had a Honda that was a great car”. (Even though you, and I, and everybody else in the world loves to make such claims, and wants to believe that they are valid.)

I bought my car, (and rejected another model) based one friend’s good experiences,and another friend’s bad experiences with those models. Psychologically, it made me feel better . But rationally, it isnt logical.

I don’t believe that though. True, if you are basing it solely on one friend you have a problem but if 10, 20, 50 people all say the same thing then there is something to it. If you go to carsurvey.org you can look at the reviews of other owners of a particular car. Compare the reviews there of Kia vs. Honda, the Hondas are about 10-20% negative, while the Kia reviews are about 50% negative. How can hordes of independent people all come to the same conclusion about things like reliability? I bought my 1999 Ford ranger largely because the reviews on carsurvey said it was a reliable car (when I bought it there were about 12 reviews and none were negative) and in the 37k miles I’ve put on it above the 61k it started with It has only needed brakepads replaced. I had some other work done but that work was optional and didn’t need to be done.