Is it acceptable for dogs to put their paws up on a stranger in public?

In public, it’s not acceptable. Imagine you greet a stranger by running up to them, jumping into their arms and wrapping your legs round them. Not gonna fly.
At home, its a little more acceptable but it gets embarrassing when it’s the plumber come to fix the boiler that’s getting the paws on chest ‘lookatmelookatmestrokemepleasepleasepleaseohplease’ treatment, rather than a family member visiting.

Absolutely not.

Although, like Dangerosa, I sometimes do have a problem with the young dog when people come into her house and she gets excited about it.

It’s inconceivable that this question even has to be asked.

1. You don’t let your dog anywhere near someone else in public. A lot of people don’t want your dog near them for a wide range of reasons (phobias, allergies, religion, etc.).

2. No dog should ever put his paws on someone unless that person signals to him to do so.

Not acceptable and something I am working on with my stubborn 9 month old adolescent dog. At the dog park it is expected though, many of the smaller dogs treat you as a jungle gym and don’t have their owners hovering at the end of a leash.

I don’t think it’s acceptable for dogs to paw strangers (and licking isn’t much better). I take the approach of telling the dog “no” firmly and loudly enough for the owner to hear in the hopes that it’ll sink in that they shouldn’t be allowing their dogs to treat people like that.

Not a dog owner, but scared of dogs. I don’t consider it a big deal with smaller dogs, but anything golden retriever size and up should not be jumping up on me. I’ve no idea whether it’s a friendly jump, or a “gee, I’d like to rip your throat out with my teeth” jump.

Which is why I always tell dogs “No, down” even though I love dogs and don’t personally mind it. It’s just not good dog behaviour.

Just to ask, what religions and why?

Absolutely not acceptable. Not ever.

A well-trained, well-socialized dog will either mostly ignore a stranger, or - if the dog’s humans stop to chat - will sit down until told to do something else. A dog that does otherwise is not well trained.

Unacceptable. I try to always step off to the side when we’re out for a walk because I don’t want my dog to approach anyone uninvited. This is partly out of respect for others but also out of concern for my own dog’s well being. Part of keeping him safe is keeping him away from people who don’t like dogs.

Luckily we live in a neighborhood with more dogs than people and he has a wide circle of admirers.

Not acceptable, even at home with friends. For those whose dogs still do it: take heart that some dogs just take longer to get it than others, and that consistency is a big part of getting them trained. Don’t let her do it with anyone. She isn’t yet able to tell who is cool with it and who is going to freak because she’s just put claw marks down the front of their new suit/blouse/whatever.

It’s certainly not acceptable. Any dog that does this to me gets a sharp shove or kick to get it off me.

For those of you who don’t want dogs to do this to them: if you can, put your knee up as the dog approaches. Knee them in the chest. There is a 99% chance you won’t hurt the dog, and if the owner gets pissed at you tell them to fuck off, you were defending yourself. I do this to MY OWN DOG if she’s riled up and charging at me (usually in play), and she is my baby.

For those still trying to train their dogs: keep them leashed when you expect visitors. Let them come to the door with you, on the leash, and hold them down. Tell the visitors not to acknowledge them unless they are sitting and being good. Use the command OFF instead of “down” because you probably use “down” for the act of lying down. They need a different command.

This worked great for my dog…until she came up with a different way to greet people. She started always bringing a shoe to the door, in hopes that whoever came in would chase her into the family room to get the shoe. She doesn’t eat the shoe, she just holds on to it until someone asks her for it and she drops it. No idea why she came up with this, but it has kept her off of people for years. Fun thing to try with a toy if your pup just can’t seem to stay off of visitors. Send them on a mission instead.

Muslims. Muslims hate dogs.

I love dogs and don’t mind if they do it. It’s happened to me quite a few times and they had dirty paws and put a huge chunk of dirt on my pants and i’ll just wipe the dirt right off but it’s absolutely UNACCEPTABLE.

It just shows how poorly trained the dog is. It’s an embarrassment for the dog owner that just lost control of their dog to a situation that wasn’t all that hard to gain control in if there was a leash/lead on their dog. That’s one pet peeve of mine too. If you have no real control on what your dog will do and there’s no lead (not that retarded retractable leads) there’s no point of you having your dog out because it will kill itself when you lose control. A dog that is properly trained is the only dog that shouldn’t have a lead on it. All other dogs should be on lead with their owner.

There are tons of people that are scared of dogs. I mean a passionate hate and fear of dogs. Having a dog owner not being able to control their own dog just shows utter disrespect and courtesy for those types of people. I mean i’ve seen people walk to the other side of the street when the saw my dog which wasn’t even intimidating (a minpin, who died like a year ago to liver cancer). She wasn’t the best behaved dogs so she would always be on a lead when going for a walk. Only time that there was no lead on her was if i was alone in a park, or in an enclosed area with people who know her hyperactivity level and weren’t afraid of her behaviour. Dog owners need to make a more concerted effort to make sure their dogs aren’t out of control beasts, doesn’t matter if they’re the most “friendly” dog out there. You claiming the dog is “friendly” is pretty much your opinion. I could care less if it’s friendly or not, if you cannot get your dog to come when called, it better have a leash before i smack it the hell away from me.

Exactly. My sister is like this with her two small dogs (who jump and jump and jump and jump…). I think she thinks they’re cute, in spite of how often we’ve told her we don’t like it.

No, it’s not ok. I love my little 11 pound dog but it’s rude when he jumps up on other people and I always apologize for it and get him to stop.

Odesio

As for myself I don’t mind, I take it as a gesture of affection, but in general, no.

I was once taking a walk with my then girlfriend when we met an old (or, in this case, young) English sheepdog who put his front paws on her shoulders and gave her a friendly lick, which she didn’t mind. The owners were a bit embarrassed, though, and apologised saying “He’s just a puppy”. “If he’s a puppy how much more will there be of him?”, we asked and were told “We expect another 30 kilos before he’s fully grown”.

1. Slap your husband’s nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

2. When she does settle down, have her sit and give her a treat.

3. Have a friend help with leash training. MAKE her sit and then reward her.

This is the first I’ve heard of this, especially with dogs being so useful in the days in which the Koran was first written. Why? Is it one of those religiously based bans like pigs for Judaism?