Is it acceptable for dogs to put their paws up on a stranger in public?

This. If the dog is so poorly trained that it will run up to a total stranger and jump up on them, it’s not too much of a stretch that they might be so poorly trained that they’d bite, too.

I love dogs, but with 90% of the dogs I encounter, I’m absolutely disgusted by their owners, who apparently cannot be arsed to bother with even minimal training. Once I was bitten by a dog while out for a run in my own damn neighborhood, because the owner couldn’t be bothered to train it properly – so it got really excited that I was passing by, jumped on me, and chomped my wrist while I was pushing it off. What was the owner doing? Limply holding onto the other end of the leash like a wet rag, saying “Rocky, no!” while doing absolutely nothing to try to pull the dog away from me. (Seriously, the leash wasn’t even taut.)

Then when I told her that her dog had bitten me, she ran. I was busy checking for blood, and she completely disappeared in under five seconds, before I could even get her name (or see where she went).

If your dogs jumps on me you’re very likely to piss me off enough to start filing reports with animal control on your ass. If you don’t have time to properly train your dog, you don’t have time to own one.

wow if a dog bit me and had a leash on it, first thing i’d do is hold onto the leash so it won’t leave my vicinity. I had to get the Rabies vaccination because a cat bit me and I couldn’t find the cat and its owner to make sure it wasn’t 100% rabid. My doctor said it was a precaution. Tetanus shot, one rabies vaccination and two steroid shots in the ass. and subsequent visits for more rabies vaccinations. Funny thing is I asked my doctor if it was common for rabies vaccs to be ordered, he said mostly for children… I was in my twenties. I felt like a dork. I pet a homeless person’s cat at a soup kitchen I was volunteering to start up a conversation and she had a pitbull there too. I’m a dog person but that dog kinda scared me, shoulda went for the dog though, cat’s are fucking crazy. Dog’s are easier to read. Lesson learned no more touching pets that I can’t get back to.

Sure, hindsight being 20/20 and all, but I was shocked that the dog jumped me in the first place, that the owner couldn’t be bothered to pull it off me, and the damn thing bit me, I really didn’t want to be that close to it. I also wasn’t expecting her to run, silly me. I only looked down for a couple seconds, I haven’t a clue how she managed to disappear that fast.

Luckily, while I had tooth-pressure marks, the dog didn’t actually break the skin. I grabbed its ear and pulled its head away from me hard once I felt the jaws go around my wrist.

From Wikipedia:

Also see:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16472393/

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Islamonline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503547226

And a welcome contrarian viewpoint: