Is it bad to frequently turn modern TV's off and on?

I think (though I may be mistaken) that this is a feature, not a bug. I have a Sony Bravia that does much the same thing. There has been a great deal of attention paid to “vampire” appliances, e.g. appliances that never really get turned off. These devices consume a large amount of electricity (although each one consumes only a little). It used to be that when you turned on a tv, it would go on immediately. I think that devices that want the Energy Star designation need to consume less power in standby mode. The result is that you need to wait a bit longer for your tv to turn on.

Actually, the reason for standby power is to allow you to turn the TV on with a remote, which requires that power always be present to the receiver circuitry so it can turn the TV on (which means that the power supply is always running, although in some CRT TVs they used a separate standby power supply and relay; computers do the same thing with a separate standby power supply, which helps reduce standby power, but in most devices it is the same supply and the main circuitry is enabled when “turned on”. Another reason is to enable the device to turn itself “off” when it is ready to do so, like a computer). The same applies to virtually all other electronics that use a pushbutton instead of real on/off switch and/or remote.

An exception, but not relevant in any way to modern electronics, was some old tube type TVs (and possibly other tube equipment) that kept the tube heaters on even when off (usually at lower power but still very wasteful indeed).

I have a 42” Vizio SV470XVT LCD television.

Let me guess …

You have a cable box attached so that you can watch extended cable (not just basic cable).

My Vizio does the same thing … it takes a while to turn on.

I suspect that additional attached components (i.e., cable box) add to the turn on time.

Another Visio TV owner, mine takes about 6 seconds. I use the component/composite? (the 3video+2audio) analog cables for my cable box instead of HDMI because HDMI takes quite a bit longer for some reason and the quality is identical (1080i or 720p is supported by the 3+2 and the cable box does not send a 1080p signal at all). For the Bluray player I use HDMI as that outputs the 1080p.

TVs, cable boxes, and satellite receivers these days are pretty much “PCs in hiding.” It looks like a TV, and does the job of a TV, but on the inside there’s a computer driving the works. The computer needs a bit of time to crank up, and until it is ready you don’t get a picture.

If you put the TV in standby (power off through the remote control) and then turn it back on with the remote, it will probably come back on pretty quick. That’s because it really isn’t off but just “snoozing” like your PC when you put it on standby. If you turn it off at the switch, then it is really OFF, and the computer has to boot up again.

Then too there’s the whole CCFL thing, but that should manifest as being too dark when you turn the TV on and gradually brightening over the first minute or so.

Tube amplifiers for electric guitars still do this. You put them on standby to keep the tubes hot and ready, otherwise you have to wait for them ot heat up again after you take a break. Of course, you don’t leave them running on standby for days on end. Its just to keep from having too long a wait to get started again after a break between sets.

I live in an area that is prone to power outages.

I was told that a total power fail is not a good thing to do to electronics as they usually have a shut down sequence. Very bad for the new big fla tscreen TV’s.

Anyhow, I keep all my electronics like TV, computers, cell phone booster, anything that it is not good to have on during lightning strikes or power failures with attendant power fluxations, on battery back-ups.

UPC’s are cheap in garage sales, etc. Not counting lap tops which have built in battery backups I run 5 different back ups. All are on sacrificial surge protectors, and the one carrying the two biggest computer systems, I have used lawn& tractor batteries to boost power time to almost one hour.

Like oil changes in a car, real cheap engine insurance IMO…

YMMV

You’re right, but I wonder if the LCD panel is kept black until the light is ready, because once my tv turns on it seems to be at normal brightness.