Is it common to "talk" to dead people via facebook?

Oh yeah, my friend’s mother has just started posting under his name, but not in character as him. He’s not dead, but he just went to prison and she’s trying to keep people updated on his mailing address, court dates, etc.

Once in a blue moon someone will post on my Mom’s Facebook wall. shrug I don’t feel a need to but it’s nice to see that people still remember her and think about her.

When my father died last year, we found his FB password and used it to let all his online friends know what had happened, and keep everyone updated on the arrangements.

I did so, as his son, advising who I was and why I was posting on his page.

My Dad had a great sense of humor. After his funeral, I was logged-in to his FB account when I noticed a relative come online. I sent her a chat, asking how “my” funeral was earlier that day.

She laughed, and responded like it was him. I know my father would have appreciated the joke.

Days later we notified FB of his passing, and the locked his page in memorium. As a result it can’t be accessed any longer, so no weird posts from the beyound.

No it is not different at all. And it harms no one.

Seems weird to me. FB is ostensibly for people to communicate.

I had a good friend - a cop - who was killed by a perp he was chasing.
He, like many, has a page on Officer Down Memorial Page.

This is a page meant for friends to leave a note, speak well of, or even ***to ***their lost friends. Since that’s the reason behind the site it’s a bit less creepy, but his wife posts there a lot and I hate to see that. It’s been 6 years.

My college roommate made a page for her sister after her sister suddenly passed last summer. The outpouring of sympathy, stories, and reminisces from both her family and community are so touching it leaves me speechless.

A former coworker who passed away unexpectedly in a car accident earlier this year had someone in his family posting as him on FB… “Here in heaven dancing with (his wife who also died tragically young in a car accident many years before)… love you!” and other things. One of his younger relatives posted saying it was creepy and please stop, which led- of all things- to an argument about whether it was creepy and if the person should stop. Unbelievable.

People posted (and continue to post) on my former husband’s FB page, which hasn’t been changed to a memorial page yet, but no one posts as him. His son posted from his account on the day he died, but made it very clear that it was the son posting. I posted on Halloween, as a matter of fact- partially passive-aggressively, as his girlfriend stole an item that was supposed to go to a friend of ours, and it was the perfect time to make an oblique reference to it in the hopes that she would Do The Right Thing and return it, but I would’ve posted anyway because Halloween was an important day for us.

So… posting to the page, not creepy. Posting from the account to pass along information, when making it absolutely clear that it’s someone else doing it- not creepy. Responding as the person- CREEPY.

I’ve seen people who post condolences to the family right after the death, and sometimes those include those types of comments. But as a general thing? No.

Posting as the dead person? HELL no.

Yeah it is–it’s public and unconstrained by physical boundaries. You might argue that I should just unfriend them and my dead friend if I want to avoid it, but that comes off as selfish. So you kinda have to put with it.

Talking to your dead loved ones is a private thing. I wouldn’t say it’s wrong to it publicly, but it is weird, along the lines of talking to yourself publicly.

I have a friend who passed away last May that I still feel an urge to email him. For years we sent each other additional names for the National Lampoon Yearbook (You know, Like Heywood Jablomie) as they ocurred to us. Even at the last we were sending ones like Lew Kemia, Faye Splant, and Kim O’Therapy. Just today Deb Itcard popped into my head and now I have no one to send it to. :frowning:

I always found it kind of weird. A lot of people on this thread are saying it’s not much different from visiting the grave of a deceased loved one. But I think there is one major difference: Everyone on the person’s friend list can see what you said (and depending on the privacy settings of the person, perhaps the entire internet). I think it’s sort symptomatic of the whole voyeuristic subculture facebook has unearthed. I think, and I might be dead wrong about this, a lot of people aren’t actually talking to the dead person; they are talking to everyone else by masking their conversation through their relationship with the deceased. People want other people to see them, want their existence as a living, breathing human being with feelings confirmed by other people.