Is it correct usage it speak of "expectations "for one's children" or "of one's children"?

Hi
Parents want their children to succeed in life. So do they have 1. great expectations “for their children” or 2. “of their children”?
I would use 2. “have expectations of”(desired result).1. (have expectations for(forecast) seems odd. I look forward to your feedback.

I did a quick check of the Corpus of Contemporary American English, and the distinction you indicate seems more or less right to me. You can use either, but there’s a difference, so it’s up to you. If you have expectations for your children, it means you anticipate good things for them. If you have expectations of your children, it means you are placing some degree of responsibility on them to effect a good outcome on their own lives.

Agree, but I would use “for” regardless of the nuance of meaning. There is a small but real chance that “of” will be understood to mean “what each child expects.”

Guizot is correct: ‘for’ is the correct usage in this case. By contrast, you have an expectation of your child that they will look after you in your dotage.

Which I would use would be dependent on whether I expect the outcomes to be contingent on the children’s actions. Good things will simply happen to them as an inevitability = for. Good things will happen as a result of their efforts = of.

This would be more takeaway -
Expectations OF is in relation to me (i.e I expect them to do some good thing for me)
Expectations FOR is in relation to themselves

Thank you all. Very helpful.