Is it more expensive to eat healthily?

In case anyone is currently in dire needs:

The ‘side salad’ offered by McDonalds on their dollar menu is actually made from exactly the same greens mix that they use in their $4 ‘deluxe’ salads. As best as I can estimate, 2 of the side salads gives you the same volume of greens as one of the deluxe salads. Note, you’re also getting a chicken breast with the deluxe versions (as well as some high calorie additions like croutons, grated cheese and bacon you’re actually better off without) so I’m not saying the deluxe version is over priced.

Anyway, if your wallet is light and you crave a salad lunch that is better than the same old iceberg + a slice of pinkish tomato, you really can’t do better than hit McDonalds.

Who would have thought it?

I liked “Fast Food Nation”, but I like eating at McDonald’s too. (My take on the book differs from the popular press – I thought it showed McDonald’s to be very innovative). I usually get a Fish Filet, throw away the top bun that has most of the Tartar sauce, and get a side salad with the very tasty (low fat) Sesame Thai dressing and a Diet Coke. It costs under five bucks and is a filling and (dare I say it) nutritious meal.

I’ve been very pleased with the greens McDonald’s uses in their salads. Perhaps that varies from region to region.

Just expanding on what Zsofia, Giraffe and others have so ably noted…
It’s possible to eat healthfully, from a nutritional standpoint, for not much more in actual money but it takes a real investment in time: careful shopping and meal planning, not to mention preparation and just plain knowing how to cook in the first place. Those aren’t minor matters.
Juggling actual nutritional loads isn’t all that easy, especially when it comes to balancing intake over days and weeks. It gets easier with practice, but it still takes some thought and care–and carving out that time can be a real challenge. I’m just staggering out from a solid two months of killer 10-14 hour work days. I porked on 5 pounds because I bought fast rather than well. I didn’t ferret out things like hidden fats and sugar in convenience stuff–canned “ingredient” things, pre-fab quickies–and stopped preparing and packing my usual quasi-museli for breakfast, salad or soup for lunch , veggies and fruit for snacks, etc. Let’s not even talk about preparing deliberate, tasty stuff ready for quick-fixin’ after a horrendous day.
And I honestly enjoy doing all that shit, scary as it is.
I’m in awe of folks who manage it for entire families, on top of working just about all the hours packed into day, paid-work on top of the endless other life-maintenance tasks.
It can be done, and even more cheaply in the long run but it requires trade-offs…like a deliberate, extended plan for healthy eating, which takes balancing, everyday exercise into account. If I’m so rushed and exhausted I resort to a-burger-on-the-go, chances are the day will not include a helluva lot of crafty muscle pumping. Getting my teeth brushed and shoving my feet into matching shoes works is the first challenge.
There’s no easy equation, damnit.

Yes, you can get most fruits and vegetables just about any time of the year… but at much higher prices out of season. This is problem if your definition of “healthy” includes just the lean meats and salads.

But there’s more to eating healthy than just salad. And there are ways to economize both money and time.

I usually spend one weekend day a month in a massive cooking marathon. Among other items, I make a huge pot of stew. It’s about 1 lb of meat with 2 lbs of vegetables - the beauty of this is that those vegetables can be almost anything, so you can buy what’s cheap (either in season or frozen). If you then put it in the fridge overnight you can skim almost all the fat off the top the next morning, and then freeze the results. So you can get the advantage of bulk-buying some items, and the freezing keeps them from going bad. Meanwhile, when you thaw it out you can put it over noodles or rice or whatever for a reasonably balanced meal. Flavored noodle packs are cheap, especially when on sale, and can help vary the flavor.

Don’t be afraid to buy frozen vegetables - freezing actually preserves vitamins, so off-season frozen vegetables may be more healthy than their fresh counterparts that have traveled long distances.

Canned vegetables are better than no vegetables.

Buy what’s in season.

You can also make your own frozen dinners - in recent years there has been an explosion of plastic containers of all shapes and sizes. Watch for the sales. I set these up in an assebly line, About 4 ounces of lean meat (whatever sort you like) on top of rice or couscous, drizzle a little gravy or sauce on top (and since you’re doing this multiple times you can use a whole can/package of gravy without waste) with vegetables on the side. You can either buy frozen mixed vegetables (which come in different mixes, now) or individual types. Generally, the bigger the bag the better price. Put broccoli in one, peas and carrots in another, and so forth. It’s cheaper than the prepared stuff and YOU are in control of the fat/salt/other item content.

Learn to make stir-frys. Use half the meat most recipies call for and twice the vegetables. Again, you can use either in-season or frozen vegetables. Eat one serving that day and freeze the rest.

Last “cooking marathon” I did I made 8 quarts of stew and four stir-frys in about 4-5 hours. That worked out to about 32 meal-sized portions for about $40. I used ten different vegetables. I do use brown rice a lot, which does cost more than white, but is much better for you on so many levels and hey, I can afford to do so. Add in the apples and pears that are in season and that’s about two weeks of food for one, or one week for two. In reality, we eat out once or twice a week, and we do buy some convenience and snack foods so what I did last Sunday should last a month.

Back when I used to bake all my own bread I was making four loaves at a time - it takes the same amount of time, after all. And bread freezes.

Buy house brand. Shop at stores like Aldi’s - their selection varies from week to week, but their prices are low. Shop farmer’s markets and roadside stands at the end of the day or market when prices are most likely to drop or you have some bargaining power because the stand owners don’t want to haul unbought food back home.

Those with transportation problems - some chain supermarkets will take orders and deliver to those who have trouble getting to and from the store. Yes, there is a charge for this - but if your choice is a 7/11 with rotting fruit the difference in price may be very small but your choices so much greater. There are church groups and charities that may help you out - but they have to be aware you exist. Back when I was truly poor but able-bodied I traded labor (sorting, packing, carrying) for food and transportation to food for awhile. I could do this evening and weekend hours, to accomodate my need to work for money, too.

And you have to adjust your thinking - frozen orange juice, or from concentrate, is just as healthy as the “premium” never-frozen pure juice, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper. If orange juice is high priced (which happens during a bad growing season) drink a different juice - grapefruit, for instance, or grape, or lemonade made with real lemons. You won’t die without orange juice, and there are plenty of other sources of vitamin C. Milk is expensive, yes, but if you’re cooking with milk in breads, cakes, stews, whatever you can use powdered milk for that (the off-taste is disguised in cooked foods), which can be obtained in bulk and doesn’t good bad when properly stored, and buy liquid milk solely for drinking. You don’t have to buy the high-end imported cheese - Velveeta provides calcium just like fancy cheddar does, but at a lower price.

The thing is, a lot of these techniques take time to learn or make into habits. You have to learn to be creative with what you have, rather than always seeking out specific ingredients and preparing set, unvarying recipies. You have to learn to be efficient in your time and efforts. It also helps if you have some experience cooking and are tied into folks who already know these things. If no one in your family cooks you won’t have the equipment or the know-how. If you grow up in a house where everything is deep-fried and smothered in gravy you may not be aware of alternatives.

Yes.

Grocery stores are traps. We are all mice. Stupid mice.
I have noticed that the stuff you really, really, really want ( and do not need) at grocery stores is on sale.

The Impulse stuff is put in the center aisle: chips, soda, snacks and cereal.
The cereal aisle, the good-for-you cereal ( Colon Blow and its like) are always on the top shelf. The midrange mildly-good-for-you to the No Nutrional Value Whatsoever will be middle to lower shelves. Close to the kids eye level.

End cap products are usually crap as well. except cheezits. oooooh, cheezits.

There will always be once ice cream kind on sale…in the middle of the vast ice cream display cases. So you have to walk down and look and oooooh, look frozen waffles are a $1. Never mind the fact that making waffles from scratch ( ok, mix) take the same amount of effort and cost about twenty five cents per serving.

To get you into the store toilet paper is always on sale. Tissue and paper towels too, along with hot seasonal items that you need for thanksgiving/xmas/new years.

The crap that is on sale: hamburger helper/pasta/quickie meals.
The good for you meals that require a little defrost and time are rarely on sale and rarely have coupons.

Notice the big fat deep carts. If it isn’t brimming with groceries we are not buying enough. Take the 12 pack of toilet paper you need and put it on the bottom. To fill it up faster. This works quite well for me. YMMV.

By the ‘dumbing down’ of consumers ( getting lazy or not enough time) we are being programmed towards fat food.

I suspect, paranoidly so, that it is all sponsered by the Fad Diets and dieticians / cardiologist s of America.

Where the hell do you people live and shop and what the hell do you eat?

No matter how poor and cash-strapped I’ve been, I’ve never bought junk food- or any other low-end crap – because it’s expensive and doesn’t go far. And being lazy, I never spend loads of time making dinner because I don’t have the time-- if I’m in the kitchen for more than half an hour making dinner, I’m making a feast. And I’m not alone in this experience-- it was shared by just about every friend I had in college and university.

I think the reason most people think fresh veggies are expensive is because they buy 'em, don’t eat 'em, and let 'em rot in their fridge. And they don’t know what to do with them. Eating a salad considered ‘healthy’? How boring.

Allow me to repeat myself about cheap healthy eating requiring time and knowledge - the people who wring their hands over the price of fresh vegetables (often out of season) have never spent a fall where all your friends have somehow decided to grow zucchini. You have to lock your car doors because otherwise you’ll come back to find a plastic grocery bag full of vegetables on your passenger seat. Fresh produce is cheap (sometimes free like an albatross around your neck!) when it’s in season. Strawberries from another freaking hemisphere are not “fresh produce”, they’re a luxury.

And I’m disturbed at this idea that the only way to eat healthy is to turn into a salad. I think Americans as a whole have really forgotten how to eat normally - I was struck when Dr. Phil put out his weight loss guide, and everybody bought it, and then he had to put out another book (which surely made him money, but I honestly think he didn’t realize it was necessary) to tell people what the first book meant when it said “eat healthily and in moderation”.

Granted, a lot of people’s “healthy” is really “low-carb” or “low-fat” or whatever, but I think I eat pretty well and my “healthy” is “lots of colors, fresh things, in-season”, pretty much. It’s a lot more expensive for me because I just cook for myself - if I had a family of 4, there’d be a lot less waste and I could buy in bulk a lot more.

You do realise you’re supporting the OP here? Your personal experience is that it’s possible to eat both healthily and cheaply. You’re also very well educated. You know what a good diet is. You obviously have basic cooking skills. You know that junk foood is, well, junk. That makes your life choices much better than many poor people’s.

On average, poor people don’t go to college and don’t know how to eat healthily. If they know, then are often circumstances which don’t allow them to do it. If the only appliance in the kitchen is a microwave, it’s difficult to cook beans. And if there’s no refridgerator, you couldn’t keep them anyway. Being poor sucks.

I can’t speak for “most people.” I can say that a cucumber with peel I can eat costs 1.99, as does a red pepper, right now, this very moment, at my supermarket. And I can also say that I eat several of each of these a day. I can do this because my pay is okay.

I’m not sure what your point is. I know what to do with vegetables. The salad I’ve described is healthy. It is not boring. Perhaps the reason the conversation has turned to salad is because that’s what is available at fast food places which, as the inexpensive “restaurant” food, are part of this conversation.

I could say the same for you. It has never been my experience that finding healthy food here in St. Louis is so much easier and cheaper than fast food. Hell, I could walk down the street to Church’s Fried Chicken and get an enormous, fatty meal for $2.00, but I’d have to pay $1.50 for one bell pepper, which would only be one component of my meal. Of course, I shell out the money for fresh produce (though I rely on frozen far more often during the winter) but many people I know don’t because they can’t afford it.

Perhaps this is your experience in your neck of the woods; however, that’s certainly not true everywhere for everyone. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my neighborhood market marks up all their fresh produce to more than twice what it costs in a nicer store in a more expensive neighborhood. Many people here can’t afford a car or cab fare, so they’re reduced to eating out of convenience stores and fast food places. I feel very fortunate that I am now able to drive and have someone who can drive me if I can’t. If I weren’t in the situation I’m in now, I’d probably be eating from Church’s or the 7-11. I think it’s fortunate for you and your friends that you’ve found such healthy places and food, but that’s certainly not true for other people.

I don’t think everyone here assumes that healthy = salad. A lot of people compare health food with fast food salads because at most fast food places, salads are one of the few items advertised as healthy. In other words, salad is often used for the sake of comparison. Most of my vegetables go into sambhar, healthy curries, or stir-fry dishes. I make salads only on rare occasions, and when I do, they’re far from boring. I suspect that most posters here have the same experience. Also, few people I know waste any vegetables. I know I don’t, and it still costs me about $100 per week for me and my husband to eat healthfully.

Great! In South Carolina where something is in season year round.

We have the zucchini problem here in Minnesota as well. But fresh produce season here isn’t long - a few months - spring fruits like strawberries in June - last of the apples in October - 4 months. Before that its either growning, or buried in snow. Fresh produce is shipped into this state most of the time. Or grown in greenhouses. Both carry costs. And with gas prices as high as they have been, food being shipped in is more expensive than ever.

Also, your friends giving you fresh produce is predicated on your friends having property on which to grow fresh produce. Most people I know who are poor have poor friends, and live in apartments. By the time we had a house and yard in which to garden, being able to afford something other than ramen noodles was in our past.
(Have an acquintence who tried macrobiotic in Minnesota - bad idea)

I struggle with this topic every single week. Big family, not much money, dogs and cats to feed as well, you get the picture.

I want healthy: veggies (I’m not picky; frozen or canned is fine by me), fresh fruit (I’m a little pickier there, just because I prefer fresh, but I just buy cheap), decent meat, nutritious breads.

But I NEED cheap: noodles, rice, potatoes, canned soup, cheap white bread.
(I know, I could make bread, but I’m yeast intimidates me. I need a tutor, if anyone wants to volunteer.)

So I try to compromise. I serve noodles or macaroni just about every day, but I also serve canned or frozen veggies and fresh fruit. I try to use meat more sparingly than I might if I had more money…a couple of pork chops cut up for stirfry, a pound of hamburger for a stew, etc.

If I had enough money, I’d be shopping for fresh salmon and fresh spinach and lots of other goodies that are considered “special occasion only” right now.

As to the time issue: If I were single, or only cooking for two, I could whip up a healthy meal in no time flat. Sear a couple of tuna steaks, steam some broccoli, tadah! dinner in a few minutes. But I have four kids to feed, and if I’m faced with a pound of hamburger, some spaghetti, and the makings of a decent sauce, I’m going to spend more than a few minutes in the kitchen. I have time to do that, but I’m positive that a lot of working poor don’t.

It’s also really cheap to whip up a batch of cookies, unfortunately. Cheaper than trotting off to buy a nice frappaccino from Starbucks when you have a craving. Then, you have NO coffee, a bad craving for something, and two dozen cookies staring at you. That can only mean trouble, my friends.

I know people that feed their large families on much tighter budgets than mine, but their diets are more noodle/potato-oriented than I prefer.

Hey, it’s warmer but it isn’t the Garden of Eden! You can shop farmer’s markets and such when things are in season where you are, but the rest of the year things are cheaper in the grocery store when they’re in season in your hemisphere, not just your backyard. (You ought to come down when the local peaches are in, though - really, it’s not the same when they’ve been on a truck.)

Of course, it’s easiest to eat healthy and cheap when you have a backyard to grow a vegetable garden in, not to mention a deep freeze, a well-equipped kitchen, big stock pots, etc. My argument is that in and of itself, it is not necessarily more expensive to eat healthily, although it certainly is more expensive to eat healthily conveniently, particularly without some sort of initial setup investment. Certain economies of scale also help - it’s very expensive to cook for one person, or even two.

Zucchini, I am sure, is a problem every where ever summer. Except Antartica & Africa.

Too bad we can’t solve the world’s hunger problem with sending zucchini seeds globally.

At my local supermarket, I can buy frozen loaves of dough for about half the price of the el cheapo styrofoam bread, and it’s much tastier, too. Spray a bread pan, leave it out for about eight hours, bake for 20 minutes, and it’s ready to go (a somewhat long prep time, admittedly, but very little human intervention needed).

I absolutely can’t believe that healthy food is more expensive. You can make a complete balanced diet out of nothing but dried beans and rice, and you’d be hard-pressed to find any junk food cheaper than that (except perhaps ramen). I live in an apartment, and I was still able to get a garden plot for ten dollars. Despite the poor climate here, if I had planted it all with carrots, I could have easily gotten 50 pounds of produce out of there (as it is, I got about 10 pounds of carrots, plus spinach, beans, peppers, and other veggies). Dandelion is free, if there’s any green space at all near where you live, and it’s one of the most nutritious vegetables available, and cabbage and potatoes are very nearly free.

Now, this does take a lot more time than prepared foods, much of which is junk. In fact, I actually do eat a lot of prepared foods for this reason. But if I were unemployed, or cooking for a large family (it takes almost as much time to cook for one as for eight), then I’d be eating healthy and cheap.

If I were just eating salads, I wouldn’t be spending so much on vegetables. We make it a point to investigate recipes and create weekly menus so that we don’t get bored.

I know that frozen and canned vegetables are cheaper. I hate vegetables–all vegetables–but I can stomach fresh ones, so we make our sacrifices and buy fresh vegetables.

Yes, you could. And some people manage to plump up into robust little piggies when eating meals based on carbs. Some people find that cutting out cheap food like rice, beans, pasta, convience foods, and frozen foods enables them to lose weight, lower their blood pressure, and feel more healthy all around. Since starting to eat by my definition of healthy (again, fresh vegetables, decent cuts of meat, etc) I’ve lost 15 pounds and my blood pressure and normalized. That’s worth the cost to me, but I absolutely had to payit. I can’t waltz in and buy fresh veggies with my good lucks, nor can I haggle for a cheaper price. And even in So Cal, produce is more expensive in the winter. Not all produce (my avacodos are still remarkably affordable), but still.

If we accept the currently common notion that “carbs are evil” then I think it’s hard to escape the conclusion that healthy food will tend to be expensive. Throughout the world, and throughout history, the human race has found that the way to produce food cheaply and in abundance is by growing grains, legumes and the like - which are mostly carbs.

It’s also fairly obvious that fast food is mostly junk, designed to be cheap, tasty and sort of addictive. So you’re not going to find healthy food that way.

But the real story is probably a bit more complicated than “carbs are evil” implies. When you look at what Atkins or South Beach advocates are really saying, it’s that simple carbs (e.g. white flour, sugar) are the problem. It’s something of a leap from that to saying that all carbs are evil - though just now this is widely said and believed.

I think what Chronos is saying (and I agree) is that the anti-carb faction doesn’t have a monopoly on the concept of healthy food - that a diet that relies on complex carbs (“food as grown”) can be entirely healthy and also inexpensive. It’s not especially popular in western society, so you’ll mostly have to do you own cooking. This needn’t be hideously time-consuming, but neither is it fast food.

It’s not like I had any courses in how to eat well–except in high school home economics. Practicing cooking came from a common low-paying job-- working at a fast-food restaurant! And living on your own at the age of 19 on less than $4k a year after tuition doesn’t leave you much choice at all about what you’re doing-- all my money went to rent, utilities, and food. That means that like many poor people I had to budget ruthlessly, hunt out bargains, and refuse to indulge in luxuries like out-of-season produce.

How do you spell fresh in January? C-A-R-R-O-T not H-O-T-H-O-U-S-E T-O-M-A-T-O.

From my experience, I think it is definitely more expensive to eat healthy. Organic food where I live is often outrageously priced. I pay more for fresh beans, corn, etc. than I do for those in a can packed with preservatives. A can of low-sodium vegetable soup costs more than a can of the older style stuff (if they’re taking AWAY sodium, shouldn’t I be paying LESS? Anyway…). Any time I’ve bought fresh produce, whole grain bread, etc. I’ve always ended up paying more than I have for less-healthy versions of the same things.