Is it proper to ask why a member was banned?

If so, would this be the appropriate forum?

If you have a question about bannings / banned users, the staff prefer that you e-mail a staff member (administrator or moderator) rather than asking publicly on the board.

Right, and thanks, Berkut.

Generally, we prefer that bannings be kept unobtrusive. There are a number of reasons for this:

• The primary reason is respect for the privacy of the bannee (or, if feminine, the banshee.) Sometimes, rarely, bannings are reversed after lengthy discussion, or after someone pleads and promises to reform. Such reversals, I have to say, rarely work out, but we don’t want to prejudice the audience by making the causes public.
  • Most of the banned of outsiders are evident trolls, who are out looking for attention caused by disruption. A thread about why they were banned is still a turn-on for them; hence, we usually try to make their posts disappear and cut down any discussion about them. If they get no thrill from the disruption, they won’t try to keep coming back.

Generally, when a long-time member gets banned, it is after repeated warnings over a long period of time. Those situations, we usually do allow public discussion, because otherwise we’d have to deal with a hundred emails or so.

Thanks. I guess I shoulda RTFAQ.

Do you call them banshees because thet’re weeping & wailing? :wink: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn, Bosda, you beat me to it! :stuck_out_tongue: That was pretty funny, Dex. :slight_smile: