Is it really remarkable to have people close to you in your phone book with their actual full name?

No, the OP seems old for calling it that. I’ve never heard it called anything but contacts until now.

Anyway, I have a few people in my contacts with only their first names, but they happen to be the only person I text (or much more rarely, call) with that first name.

Me, too. And my phone has a field for “title”, so that’s where “plumber” goes, not in a name field.

I’m slightly dyslexic. I just read “phone”. I have a lot of contact info in my phone.

Yep, same here.

I take it a step further, though. Some service providers get an entry in the notes section, a sort of mini review. “Jackass” is one. Several are “Never call again.” And some are so terrible I will enter several words to remind me of extreme incompetence or of the event that precipitated my rating.

Those reviews are for plumbers, electricians, doctors, therapists and other really poor service people. The excellent, by the way, are also reviewed.

I need to keep track of both for who to call and who not to call. This started when a plumber I thought I had used before tried to chisel me out of a lot of money in his quote. It turned out he had the same last name of a very honest guy, and I had to make note.

I have a few notes, too.

Notes. Yeah, notes. For good/bad qualities as vendors but also for social reasons.

I deal with a lot of people on a recurring but occasional basis. Like a few hundred. Far more than the feeble social part of my brain can remember. So on meeting such people, I quickly add them as a contact even if it has no phone or contact info and the notes are full of biographical details, what they look like, accent, etc.

All so I’m more likely to remember them to begin with and be able to pick up at our next meeting with some clue who the hell they are.

I concur. I have a “People I know” database squirreled away with clues.

I love this!

Sometimes a contact will include a picture, and I agree to add it. But I’ve never sought out pictures. I like the idea! (Especially the celebrity doppelgänger)

My pot dealer used to be in my phone with the last name “Green”. Now, I just go to the store.

But, yeah, people go in my contacts as firstname lastname: even family. It’s annoying if I input somebody and don’t have their last name to add.

I put everyone’s full first and last name in my phone, including my wife and parents. To me it’s an index for a database and an index must be thorough and official. And yes I find it annoying when I don’t know a contact’s full name.

I also hate the modern times, because it seems like everything is alphabetized by tue first word, like my music. No!

Jimi Hendrix should be alphabetized under Hendrix not Jimi

The Jimi Hendrix Experience should be alphabetized under Jimi, not The

Most of my contacts are first name- last name with one exception, I have a lot of professional contacts where I’ve only entered the first name and the company name. Most of these are the workers for the various contractors I work with, who are listed as, for example….Arthur - Superior Electric or Danny - AA Builders.

I frequently don’t even know these guys last names.

Do you guys have only a single field for “name”? My phone has a field for first name and a field for last name. There are also fields for company and title and “other comments”. I put first names in the first name field, and last names in the last name field. How it displays them is up to it. I have hundreds of names in my phone, and I don’t ever scroll along in alphabetic order, I search for something. That something might be “deborah” or it might be “armstrong” or it might be “electrician”.

I don’t have a single field name. I do as you do.

See, this is an example of an obviously good idea that I inexplicably never considered: using the search bar (meaning you can look them up by first or last name).

Most of my contacts are listed as first name only.

Mind you, I, also, am the kind of person that uses full words, capitalization and punctuation in SMS messages.
:wink:

Of course I use all these fields. That’s the point.

But most music services and other sources don’t do that.

Pardon my obtuseness, but what other sources for contacts are the except keystroking them into your device using whatever standards you personally use for data entry?

About the only alternative that comes to mind is adding the sender of an email as a contact. But most mail apps can get the sender’s first name, last name, and email address right, even if they can’t parse the rest of the sender’s sig block.

Somehow my office IT people got our entire list of business contacts onto my iPhone. I have thousands of contacts I didn’t enter manually. But, they all include first and last names, as far as i can tell.

The other way it happens is if someone forwards me a contact from their phone. It will be in whatever form they had it.

John Kalibs Dad
Erin Aidens Mom

Are both “first names” I have in my contacts. I’d say about a third of my contacts have first name + memory aid.

*Names changed for the example

Generally I have first name/last name for my contacts. But there are exceptions. My wife is listed under her first name only.

Is that’s the dad of John Kalib? Your dad, whose name is John Kalibs? Something else? He wouldn’t be in my phone that way.

The nice thing about my phone is that it doesn’t need to be explained.
Just like “Steve Drywall”, the only reason John is in my phone is because he is Kalibs dad. The missing apostrophe is authentic to the system. :slightly_smiling_face: