Is it rude to keep my seat in a bar when women are standing?

It’s funny to see one of the most rabid Fayminayst on the Left Dope say that.

Well, like I always say, it ain’t sexist/racist when it benefits the Minority™®©.

What?

Good heavens, Cat Fight, you are a rabid Fayminayst? Why didn’t you tell me? I joined the club last week!

And like others have said, remain seated unless you’re looking to get laid, in which case, go over and talk to her.

If you’re looking to get laid you should talk to her without getting up from your seat.

Unless she’s as old as the average Doper, in which case I’m sure she’ll go for that kind of thing. Though really, in that case, it’s pretty improper for her to be out at a bar.

No.

Did you just call us old? Or young? Now I’m confused. :frowning:

If you are there looking to meet/hook up with the ladies its an easy opener that makes you look like a good guy right off the bat.

I think this is the best answer. :smiley:

Last I checked, being a woman is not a disability. If she appears to be wearing uncomfortable shoes (and she probably is) it might be nice to offer, but you have no obligation.

And guys, if you do offer? For god’s sake, don’t snap your fingers, or act like you are otherwise calling a dog over, or make faces if she doesn’t want your chair. (And yes, I’ve been the recipient of this sort of “chivalrous” behavior. Maddening.)

There are exactly two reasons to offer your seat to anyone in a bar.

1. Because they are, for reasons of disability or drunkenness, incapable of standing
  2. Because you want to talk the them

If neither of these is the case, keep your seat. It’s a bar, not a bus, the only reason to be there is because you want to. Anyone not content to stand can go somewhere else.

I can’t help but feel that giving a strange woman your seat might actually REDUCE your chances of getting laid.

If you’re there to make non-sexual female friends (aka be the “nice guy”), then yes, give her your seat.

Gloria: [to Jay and Manny, about learning to ride a bike] You two have fun. I pass. It makes no sense. There's no reason that thing should stay upright.
Jay: There's no reason you should stay upright, but it just works.

I would say that if you are comfortable standing, it’s polite not to hog a seat all night, especially within a group: male or female, at some point go to the bathroom or something and give your seat to someone else in the group. Sitting time ought to be fairly evenly distributed. Of course, if you have difficulty standing for whatever reason (my husband has a degenerative bone disease and simply can’t stand for extended periods of time), then keep your seat.

But I am picturing a group of 8 people clustered around a table with four stools. At an actual bar? Hell if I know. I never figured out the knack of socializing at an actual bar, where you seem really limited in your ability to talk to other people no matter what.

Thanks for the replies, all. So, it seems the consensus (with some objections) is that it isn’t use to keep my seat, but giving it up may be helpful in, ah, other ways. Makes sense.

I wouldn’t give up my seat, nor would I take the last empty seat at the bar. Usually the last empty seat is the same every time the bar fills up. There’s a reason nobody wants that seat.

Agreed. But that wasn’t the question I was answering.

It’s not necessary, says the feminist in me.

It’s really quite endearing when my husband does it, says the irrational part of me. It’s the same part of my being that compels me to rip off his clothes when we get home.

So you find it hot when your husband hits on chicks in bars? Dang, what a luck son of a bitch!

[Cheech Marin]

Here, let me clear you a place to sit…[wipes face]

[/Cheech]

In all seriousness, if she’s not disabled or pregnant or 80 years old, then she’s no more entitled to a seat than a man is.

Stand up, turn the bar stool upside down, and then offer a seat to the closest hot little number nearby. Oh, don’t forget the unmistakable hand gesture and wink.